The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stud for the past 2 days has distanced himself from the girls (very unusual) watching him I noticed he was trying to poop but nothing was coming out. I was getting worried that if he kept flushing so hard he was going to get a prolapsed rectum. I gave him an enema. I didn't really see any result. Gas but no poop. He is grinding his teeth so I know he is uncomfortable. He is a beautiful 2 year old boar.

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
Ok let’s see if we can narrow down what’s going on. Go ahead and get a temp on him. Look in his pen and on his tail. Any signs of having loose stool? Check his inner eyelids, if you google FAMASHA score it will tell you how to properly get a score on him. I would go ahead and get a fecal done. Sometimes when they have the runs they really strain even when there is nothing left to poop. If he is passing gas he should be able to pass poop, meaning not blocked up. You can do another enema if you do feel like he really is plugged up. Any sign of bloating? Large on the left side? And I would go ahead and listen to his lungs and rumen. You don’t want any crackling sounds coming from the lungs, but you want nice rumbling sounds from his tummy.

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
Oh another thing. Make sure he is peeing. Is he stretching out when he is straining to poop? He might have stones and if that is the case you need to get ammonia chloride in him and or get him to a vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok let’s see if we can narrow down what’s going on. Go ahead and get a temp on him. Look in his pen and on his tail. Any signs of having loose stool? Check his inner eyelids, if you google FAMASHA score it will tell you how to properly get a score on him. I would go ahead and get a fecal done. Sometimes when they have the runs they really strain even when there is nothing left to poop. If he is passing gas he should be able to pass poop, meaning not blocked up. You can do another enema if you do feel like he really is plugged up. Any sign of bloating? Large on the left side? And I would go ahead and listen to his lungs and rumen. You don’t want any crackling sounds coming from the lungs, but you want nice rumbling sounds from his tummy.
Thank you for your quick response. I will look into that.

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
Ok that sounds like he has stones. He should have a nice solid stream. I have never had to deal with this so I am worthless on totally helping you. But I do know he needs a lot of AC, it can turn fatal fast. I hope someone that knows more then me will get to you soon

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Ammonium Chloride Treatment for UC:
Dosage 1 (one) teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20cc of water and drench every 12 hours for 2 (two) days. Then the dosage is reduced to 1/2 teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20 cc of water and drench every 12 hours for 3 (three) days. Then the dosage is reduced to 1/4 teaspoon per 75 lb of AC powder added to 20cc of water and drench daily as a preventative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@lindaleclair How is the buck doing?
He seems to be doing better. I was worried about him. We was laying around too much & He didnt eat for a few days. Lost some weight but he was a big boy. I gave him several enemas & treated for crystals. He seems to be back to his old affectionate self & eating fine. He loves fruit & has been eating just fine thank you.

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
Need to watch close for a steady strong stream of pee. Sometimes stones move along but more follow. Need to keep a close eye and keep up Ammonium chloride as instructed by NigerianNubie ☝☝☝
Diet change maybe needed as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts