My Teddy...growing FAST!

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by liz, Dec 5, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres Teddy...Chief is his sire and Bootsie his dam. He will turn a full 10 months old in another week....he is just about the same size as his almost 2 year old daddy! Sorry but don't mind the "bucky colored hair" it used to be white...lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He will show me wether or not he'll stay a buck when Angel freshens come March.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    What a handsome boy! :love:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if he is only 10 months he has already sired a doe who is now bred? I's confused

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    He is just gorgeous!!! What a nice looking guy!

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Angel is Hank & Daisys' offspring. Teddy is Chief & Bootsies' . Teddy is bred with Angel. I guess I should've let Liz answer and keep my nose out of it. :ROFL:
    Candy :sun:

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Liz your Teddy is a handsome guy! :thumbup:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if that is the case you still woildnt know from Angel if Teddy will throw better udders :shrug:

you would need to breed his doelings and then see their udders to know if he shoudl stay a buck

or am I not getting it right?

8. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    Teddy is beautiful!! What striking colors and lots of personality in that face!! :cool:

So, now I'm a little confused - on how old you can wether a buck? If you breed him at 7 months and wait for his doeling to be old enough to breed, and then check udders on her doeling (assuming that all breeding throw doelings...) - he could be somewhere in his second year when you see what kind of udders his lines produce. I am missing something? I just am curious because we're basing a lot of our breeding choices on the *s in the buck's pedigrees - and that would likely influence our choice to keep a buckling intact, too.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What a handsome guy!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you all....and regards to the wethering, the majority of my kids are sold as pets and to my knowledge none of the doelings have ever been bred....Teddy is cow hocked...and so is his dam...I chose Angel because I wanted to see wether or not they give solid black kids, The breeding wasn't intended to "improve" on anything...just for my curiosity. Teddy's dam, Bootsie is still in milk...though minimal as it is at just over a cup, she's not done bad at all for being a pygmy/nigi cross at 8 years old....and her udder isn't show quality or even perfect, but it's better than most cross breeds....but not something I would want a buck to pass on....Teddy is the only buckling born here that has ever kept his "jewels", all others were wethered and sold as pets. :wink:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    got any pictures of his hockiness? That is something I am still learning

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If I can get him to stare at the girls long enough! lol...and it will be when it gets a bit warmer out..it's just awful cold and windy, the goaties won't go outside :greengrin:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    nice looking boy.... :) :thumbup:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's something how he looks so Nigi! Bootsie is pygmy/ nigi and Chief being Reg PB Nigi...that Teddy turned out the way he did...my goodness if you didn't know his dam was half pygmy I don't think you can tell theres pygmy in him...he is so much like his daddy...except that Chief has a very nice rear leg set and Teddy is hocky, he even has those dainty little nigi hooves...not pygmylike at all