The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to hear she is on the right road to recovery. Good looking out for her & catching it early. I had a very similar situation myself & it took nearly 2 weeks for my boy to recover, he had short term loss of eye sight & though he was eating, he was also loosing weight. Though I am new to the goat world, I would def recommend you watch her for weeks after as well. My boy was young & it messed with his rumen. He is finally gaining weight 4 months after the incident. I too never found the real reason it happened.

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Though never seeing it myself previously, it was evident; either polio or listerosis.
And having the meds on hand rather than having to call a vet was a huge blessing!
Thanks for all your support as well. I appreciate you all!

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Good job Nancy!!! Yes having the meds on hand makes all the difference..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a sweet little Nigerian doeling who is now 6 weeks old. She was maybe 2 1/2 weeks when I got her almost dead from a friend who owned her mom(and sister died next day). She was born blind but otherwise seemed to be doing well and than crashed. She was flat on her side and not interested in much..pumped fluids n supplements into her n said a prayer. Within a couple of hrs. hungry n hollering but still down. Figured out poster kid for polio next day n got her on penn n thiamine next day. It has been leaps n bounds on sitting up n than walking n getting stronger by the day. But my question deals with her eyes..they were clouded over than cleared with meds n now they are starting to cloud again. She is still getting 3cc of thiamine daily. I know this is a long hall kinda thing but what might the chances of getting her sight be? Or is there something else I need to be doing?
Thanks
Kris
FullHouse goats

21 - 27 of 27 Posts