My update

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just wanted everyone to know that I am alve :wink:

Monday, at work, our computers were hit with a REALLY bad virus that still is not under control. Took 2 minutes to write this sentance.) We are down to 1 compter in the office - and it is infected and will probobly be completely down within hours.

When I get home at night, I try to read and respond to what I can - but I have to do homework and the barn and sleep.

If you need me, or would just like to say hi -please call me - I miss you all!

509.499.5828 - cell

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :wave: ......great to know that you are still "kicking" :ROFL:

Hope all gets repaired with the comps at your work.....not having access really stinks!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that just plan sad. I hope things get better over there. Reminds me that I need to get virus software for my laptop. UGH

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I hope they get those darn things fixed soon! We've missed ya! :hug:

5. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    It is amazing how addicted we become to these machines! When ever our internet at home is down or slow you can see the stress meter go up for everyone trying to work on it!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hope things get fixed soon.... :pray:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Feb 09, 09

Today we were all hoping to return to work with our computers fixed - and that DIDN'T happen. They said the name of the virus is "virut.bm". They think it originated out of China. Our IT staff is working (and has been all through the weekend) with Microsoft. They came around and started a clean up disk on our computers - well, mine was "pink slipped" meaning the disk didn't work. They are sending in a level 2 IT person hopefully in the next couple days to figure it out.

We have approximately 1000 computers on campus and 200 at our outreach centers with an estimated 90% being infected. Also, it takes 1-3 hours per computer typically for the clean up disk to work, and that is only working on about 1/2 of the computers.

This is aweful - I have never realized how dependent I was on the internet at work and how much I am missing you all!!!

I will give you another update shortly -

PS IT said that they would not even reccommend me booting up my personal laptop at work until they have this completely under control.

There have been at least 20+ companies and colleges hit with this virus. It is also starting to effect debit cards, but we are not sure how.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Computers still are not fixed at work - they are saying about 65% are. now I have another persons laptop, so I can get some work done - but very minimal.

Will keep you updated