My very first fecal sample

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by agilitymaster01, Sep 4, 2014.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I had no idea it would be so interesting and fun to do fecal samples. Does anyone else get this much entertainment from doing them?? I cannot wait to do more. :) for those of you who have not had the opertuniry, I hope you get to eventually.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is great that you are doing your own!

3. guessa1

guessa1 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I thought it was really interesting too! :) But alas, I could not locate a worm egg in any of my samples! I wish there was a way to take a picture of what I can see looking through my microscope! LOL!

4. audrey

audrey New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Lebanon, Oregon
    I have everything to do mine, except the right microscope. Actually the microscope itself is great, but its only got one eye hole, and I get a wicked headache instantly trying to look through it dang it!

So did you have a heavy load in your sample? Which process do you use to to make the smear?

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  5. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I used the process on the fiasco website. It worked. I found 3 worm eggs. I was in a hurry, so I don't think I waited long enough. I was happy to see what I did though. I can't wait to try another. :)

I also have a one eye piece microscope. It is ok...I wish I had one with a screen. ;) that way there is no putting my face up to anything and then more than one person can see. (For learning purposes)

6. VillageCreek

VillageCreek New Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Southeast Missouri
    Doing your own fecals is pretty great. Binocular microscopes are much better than monocular. I have an AM Scopes binocular... Good little microscope.

7. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Do you find that when you want a sample from your goats they suddenly become shy poopers? I just hang out there with them, waiting and talking to them. I stood there for like 20 min and nothing. Not even a little. Irritating. I bet as soon as I left they were like "Finally. It is safe to go". Lol

Einhorn and CritterCarnival like this.
  8. Bertnut2

Bertnut2 New Member

Feb 9, 2014

This is so funny! I have the same problem. I take my fecals to the vet so of course I follow them around and wait and wait, watching the time because I have to be at the vet. Any other time they would go when I don't want them to but if I need one, they are so shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

9. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a kid I used to check constantly since she'd had dietary/coccidia issues. She never poops around me anymore. :lol:

10. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Lol. That is what I am afraid of. I want them to see my face and voluntarily poop. ;) drop the berries on command. :pray::leap:

11. finliefanatic

finliefanatic Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Kennewick WA
    What types or names of Scopes

I am looking to purchase my own microscope for the purpose of sampling my goats and some friends, what are some of the different scopes out there that people are using. I just had a sick buck and on the weekend it was hard to find someone to do a sample for us.
    And yes I do find it interesting, it is a great way to get the kids more involved.
    David

12. RLM93

RLM93 New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    I actually asked for this microscope for a hopeful Christmas gift. It is a little pricey at $265, but I'm a Biology major for pre-vet so I am hoping to be able to use it for a long time. What sold me on it is the dual eyepiece rather than the single and it has the camera to take pictures of the slide and to be able to view the slide even larger!

AmScope B120C-E1 Siedentopf Binocular Compound Microscope, 40X-2500X Magnification, Brightfield, LED Illumination, Abbe Condenser, Double-Layer Mechanical Stage, Includes 1.3MP Camera and Software

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine has a chip in it to send the field of view to my laptop. That's really nice. I'd have to into the scary store room to see what it is.

14. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    I ordered the My First Lab microscope from amazon, which is the same as Fiasco uses with good effect. It was only about $60, and is waaaay brighter than the one I had when I was a kid, and nicer to use. But you need three AA batteries to use it, you can't just use daylight. I'll be doing my first fecal analysis soon.

15. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I got the my first lab scope as well. I like it, but would like one that I can view and take photos on my laptop. I have glasses and looking into a scope makes it harder. Can't see with out them, they get in the way with them. Lol. ;)

I can't wait to try dog poo. Haha

16. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    How did this microscope work out for you?

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I LOVE doing fecals! Very interesting! I have only done 2 I’ve found worm eggs in both but I don’t have the microscope slides I just use a piece of plastic lol! I did order them though. Yes I use the fiasco farms method too and it does work!!

18. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What microscope did you use? @Nigerian dwarf goat

19. LazyCreekGoats

LazyCreekGoats Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Is this microscope full-size or is it smaller than normal microscopes?
    Amscope B250.jpg

20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I use the national brand??? Here's a pic image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg