The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting two Nigerian dwarves as pets in the spring, and they will be my very first goats. Any advice for this new mini Mom?

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Welcome to TGS! :wave:

The basics...

Shelter: They should have a dry, draft free shelter where they can get out of the cold, wind, rain, etc. Straw bedding works good to keep them warm in winter months.

Feed: A good quality hay. I personally use and recommend alfalfa. Wethers, dry pet does, and bucks I don't recommend giving any grain at all as long as you're feeding good hay. Milking or pregnant does may need grain.

Minerals: Goats need loose minerals, not salt blocks. They come in a bag and can be left out for them to eat free choice. I like sweetlix meat maker and cargill onyx right now minerals (which is actually a cattle mineral, but works great.) The only mineral I don't recommend is purina goat mineral.

Fencing: Make sure you have a tight 4 ft. or higher fence that will keep the goats in and predators out. I've found that Oklahoma brand max tight horse fencing works great.

Hooves: Goats need their hooves trimmed regularly. You can pick up some hoof clippers at a livestock store or try jefferslivestock.com has them as well.

Extras: You want to have some basic things on hand like a good dewormer and cocci treatment.

I'm sure i'm missing some things, but there is some basic info. for you. They're great pets and a lot of fun. You'll really enjoy them as long as you're prepared. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Buy the book"your goat- a kids guide to raising and showing goats" it is great book for the older 4-h er or a newbie. Really i've learned alot about goats from that book.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great advice! For shelter...do I need to make sure it has a door to keep them in? Just in case a predator comes into the fence? Also, I heard some things about copper shots and also making sure they have enough phosphate. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The best advice I received when getting my goats was to find a vet that does inexpensive fast fecal exams. In the long run, it is cheaper and safer to test a goat you suspect is sick and treat properly.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Worms and other parasites like Cocci. Good to know what you need to treat for if your goat is showing signs of either... Otherwise it's a shot in the dark.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Fecals test for worms and cocci :)

·
558 Posts
I got my first goats this past Spring (Nigerians).
Lots of good advice above. I definitely recommend having a door on your shelter to lock them in at night. Also agree that you need to have loose minerals, cocci meds if you are getting babies and CD antitoxin, cheap digital thermometer, baking soda, and electrolytes on hand in case of emergency.

Do you plan on getting them weaned or bottle feeding? My family and I really LOVED bottle feeding. Our little girls are super sweet and friendly and really bonded with us doing that. We got ours at a week old but I know some breeders wont let them leave until 6-8 weeks. Either way, I recommend you ask the breeder to start them on a bottle for you if possible. Many of the breeders around here will do that for you and then you can bottle feed for a few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts