My way of keeping barn records

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by nancy d, Jan 23, 2010.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I have finally figured out my memory isnt so sharp. So this is sort of what my Barn Records looks like.

When its time for hoof trims & vacs the same time, everyones name is on the list.

In no particular order everyone is done one at time.
    I start with checking eyelids & gums. IF anything unusual it gets written down.

First the vacs in alfabetical order (BoSE comes before CDT) with a check mark as soon as it's done.
    So it looks like this;

Date and "Feet trims"
    Mystify BoSe CDT R shoulder check check check
    Sissy CDT L elbow check

Same thing with worming which usually takes place opposite of vac time but along with trimming.

Lela gets a W by her name
    Miss B W cleaned out ear. LR (left rear) hoof needs extra trim next week

Feel free to share yours! Ive yet to implement spreadsheet.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have a wipe off board in the barn -- I write every goats name down on the left side. On the right I have the feeding schedule and amounts

so it looks like this on the left
    DATE
    Angie -
    SP -
    Lola -
    J'bug -
    Mocha -
    Ziva -

And then when I do hooves or vaccines or worming I write it down next to their name and the date is on the top.

then for the bottom half I can put things done like:

Noticed Angie flagging, in heat? 10 -12-09
    Ziva not acting right 1-20-10
    Ziva temp 102.3 1-21-10 gave oxytet
    Boarding doe came into heat - bred to Dude on 1-20-10

etc

And then when its all full I bring it inside and copy everything in to my big book and the their specific records on the computer and then print it off and put it in my binder.

If I need something before I Do that I just run out with a paper and pen and fill in what I need :thumb:

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've got a calender in the barn that I mark stuff on. Like Stacey, I bring it in to copy it to spreadsheet every so often. The girls each have their own spreadsheet list to keep track of their medications/general maintenance. I plan to make them a separate log sheet for when they're in milk. I want exact records so I know, for sure, how well they're doing/producing.

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I use the record keeping form on boergoats.com It comes in handy-but so much writing!!! I keep up with most of it on my computer...

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Heather those are pretty good! Good stuff to keep track of, everything from doe & buck# to ease of kidding & disposal codes & weaning weight & all the stuff inbetween.