My weekend -

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by kelebek, Dec 14, 2008.

  1. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So Friday night we had a surprise 40th B-day party for my husband. I thought for sure that he knew what was going on - but he didn't :leap: It was a surprise and he was so happy and had so much fun.

    So we finally got home about 2-3 am saturday morning, and of course we still had dinner feeding - which ment some upset animals. There is a cold front coming in so it was a little cold. I got everyone fed (as DH was inside passed out) and watered and then off to bed. It was 34-36 degrees outside with a windchill putting it at about 10 degrees.

    We woke up at 1pm saturday, fed, and went to town. The cold front started coming in even worse. It was about 22 degrees and with the windchill about 5-10 degrees. Everything was freezing and getting nasty. the poor horses are having to walk on frozen squishy mud by the gate - and I feel so bad - but they insist on peeing in front of the gate so it makes the mud worse.

    So last night when we got home about 10 - it was 16 degrees and I swear with windchill it was below zero. We decided to bring Blue and the Blackbelly ram in with the boys in the oversized horse stall and we put the 4 ewes and the 5 month old ram in with the does and 2 wethers (that was a chore!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sheep and blue are unapproachable!) But we got it done.

    This morning is FREEZING. I went out and got about 1/2 way through everything and my fingers hurt so bad that I had to come in by the fireplace and warm up - then go out and finish. It is not so much the winter cold - it is that wind with the nasty cold front that is coming through this whole week. Thank goodness no kids are due for another 2 months!

    Anyway, so now I am looking at finishing my final for my Ethics and Values class, cooking a roast, and homemade bread!!!

    What did you all do this weekend?
  2. Amos

    Amos New Member

    Oct 2, 2008
    On Saturday I woke up at 12:30 (I stay up til 2:00 usually), showered, went on TGS, the normal, and got ready for a 4-h bake sale/dinner benefit I was supposed to work at. I think we made about $70 at the bake sale and $100 some on the dinner. The Santa train came through town so that helped bring alot of people in to sell food, then we had our 4-h meeting and by then it was 7:00. I went to bed early; at 12:00, because I had Right of Entrance or something at the church today, but I couldn't sleep at all until 3:00.
    Today I was woken up at 8:00 to go to church, mind you it's snow storming out. The Catholic church never cancels mass so my dad insisted that we go, we drove all 7 miles into town at 25 mph, got there, and barely anyone was there. there was my mom, dad, me, Christine, a couple of old ladies and about 5 old guys, and this little girl that showed up outta no where all my herself. Christine the youth coordinater was being chewed out by some old lady because she had cancelled church. The old lady insisted that church needed to happen because people in town would show up, even though Christine has called into the radio station to have it cancelled (we never heard it on the station we were listening to). Father John wasn't showing up; the old lady insisted that they drive to his place and pick him up and bring him over. Apperently he wasn't picking up his phone. Christine called him and he finally picked up, I guess he was somewhere else and was almost to the church. He got there and started telling all of the old people to leave. My dad said church hasn't been canceled in over 60 years.
    When we got home we finished chores and spent the next two hours cleaning up the old shed and building a bigger pen for the turkeys. I think its the first time my dad has helped us build anything for the animals.
    It does look really nice though.

  3. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Wow - that must be one heck of a snow storm to cancel church!

    I have to ask Amos - how the heck do you get up for school during the week if you are up so dang late?
  4. Amos

    Amos New Member

    Oct 2, 2008
    School? Whats that?

    Haha, no I do my schooling online, just like Talitha, I have been in and out of schools, doing it from home has worked the best for me. Someone made a thread in here called About Us (?) some of that is explained there.
  5. kelebek

    kelebek New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  6. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My weekend is like most others, goats, house, bed, get the pic.

    Yesterday after work I went to the "local" home depot to get DH Christmas gift...picked up my mom to go with me but I couldn't find her...scary as she had a heart attack almost a year ago and not knowing wether she was down the barn or laying somewhere...anyhow..I came out of her house to hear a gunshot( last day of deer season) and walked back the woods road to the field...sure enough, there's my mom with one of the biggest cows of a doe already gutted and ready to drag home....can't keep this lady down! She's going to be the death of me too, because had I not been there she would have dragged that deer on her own...mind you, the heart attack was 10 months ago!

    I got half of that deer ready to go in the freezer! We went in search of Home Depot and following the mapqwest directions...I got lost, a trip that should have taken an hout took us almost the time I got home last night it was after 10 and being up at 4 that morning didn't help at all...after taking care of the meat and getting it in the fridge, I was beat....and was off work tday so DH and I went and cut our Christmas Tree and I spent the rest of the time making fudge and pizelles as well as BS with Allison, now I am going to bed..gotta work in the am..and be up at 4 again. The goats fit in there too...they had a great day, contentedly laying in the warm sun chewing their cuds having no care in the world..hmmm...the life of a goat sounds sooooo inviting!
  7. Cinder

    Cinder New Member

    Mar 2, 2008
    Well, my weekend was about the same as everyone else who has animals to tend to. I really hate breaking water tanks open with several inches of frozen ice and carrying buckets of warm water out to everyone.

    However, it was minus eight below yesterday morning (with the wind chill I have no idea how cold is was). My fingers were also starting to hurt inside my gloves. I couldn't wait to actually milk my goats as their udders really warm up my fingers. It got up to a blustery positive 9 yesterday!

    We came through town tonight and it said minus 13 and the wind is blowing again! I have to go out to milk now.... brrrrrr!!!!

    The hardest part of this cold weather is that we have no heat in our bedroom ... it was in the 40's the other morning when I woke up... in my bedroom!!
  8. HollowbeadRanch

    HollowbeadRanch New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Well we had a hectic weekedn here as well... I FINALLY finished my Christmas shopping, and picked up all of the ingredients I needed to do our Christmas goodies :drool: (we are going to get together and work on those Friday, so I will let everyone know that goodies we end up making!). Oh... and Thursday night it snowed (yes... it actually snowed here!!! I hope it snows for Christmas too :pray:), so we woke up Friday morning to iced roads and a few inches of snow! :greengrin: