The Goat Spot Forum banner

My weird kinder buck!

2K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  janeen128 
#1 ·
Okay, so my kinder buck was headed to the sales barn, as he has been acting very aggressive toward others in the herd, and towards my 81 year old mom and myself. Nothing worked with this little jerk:( So I put him up front in his pen with a wether, nope he was such a jerk to him that he lost his other scur. I then had enough and left him by himself. He calmed down about 90%. Seriously, a little tongue flapping this morning during feeding time, and that was it. No jumping, no bawling, no nothing just calm.... The others including my ober buckling had a very calm night, easy morning, no chasing etc.... What kind of a weird buck do I have? Geez.. He's going to service some does here shortly, he's staying there for a few weeks. So now I'm wondering if I should just keep him since he does throw cute kids... That is his son I'm holding in my profile picture.

#3 ·
Now, here's what I would do if I were you...

Take a step back for a few days, REALLY figure out what you want out of your goats. Do you to dairy? Do you want to show? Do you want to build a herd that is "name brand"? Do you want to be able to sell kids for enough money to feed their mom that year? As you answer these questions look at websites in the WA/OR/CA/ID area. See what different breeds are selling for, see what bloodlines are selling really high, see who is winning the shows, and who has a waiting list miles long for their kids. Pick out the goats that look perfect to you and then start hunting for your buck.
The hardest part of this is that you have to get your heart out of your herd for a while. If you can't, you will never have more than a pasture full of pets eating up way more food then they are worth.
It costs just as much to feed a mediocre goat as it does an excellent one. The mediocre goat is never going to give you high returns on their kids though. They also don't add anything to the genetic pool except more mediocre goats. Don't you want to create something grand?

#4 ·
Now, here's what I would do if I were you... Take a step back for a few days, REALLY figure out what you want out of your goats. Do you to dairy? Do you want to show? Do you want to build a herd that is "name brand"? Do you want to be able to sell kids for enough money to feed their mom that year? As you answer these questions look at websites in the WA/OR/CA/ID area. See what different breeds are selling for, see what bloodlines are selling really high, see who is winning the shows, and who has a waiting list miles long for their kids. Pick out the goats that look perfect to you and then start hunting for your buck. The hardest part of this is that you have to get your heart out of your herd for a while. If you can't, you will never have more than a pasture full of pets eating up way more food then they are worth. It costs just as much to feed a mediocre goat as it does an excellent one. The mediocre goat is never going to give you high returns on their kids though. They also don't add anything to the genetic pool except more mediocre goats. Don't you want to create something grand?
Yep, the hardest part is the heart. I get so attached to the stinkers. I know for a fact I like the oberhasli breed. I was going to switch to just to registered oberhasli's. Good milk and really calm, docile creatures... They are rarer.. I have a friend who owns a registered kinder doe, her and her husband wants to buy a registered buck, but he will stay here, as I don't have city limit restrictions. I do like kinders, so I wouldn't mind having a couple of them around with my oberhasli's. I have 2 now, but unregistered, so I may swap for registered, but kinders seem to be dying down in popularity, still pondering that one.... Okay, so thinking out loud...... Yep, I'll take a couple days and think..... Big girls do have a date to actually go to the sales barn in Enumclaw the 1st weekend in Nov., as I don't believe either has settled yet...:(

#6 ·
Don't mistake "rarer" breed with "less popular" breed. I can think of 5 Oberhasli breeders just between where I am and you are. The breed needs a lot of money, time, and work devoted to it. They are great goats, just difficult still
Find things like this http://oberhasli.net/specialties/nw_or.htm These things can help you. Really look at the structure of the goats, I see some things I dislike there, others that I do like. A goat should be flowing and strong.

#7 ·
Okay, so oberhasli it is... I may dabble with oberhasli/Alpine in a few years as experimental but that will be in a few years. I'm on the hunt to see if I can get my ober buck registered, if I can that would be cool. He is a product of St. John's Creamery, but he has a very docile/laid back personality for a buck, and he gets along well with the others. Here's a question though.... Rising Goats in Granite Falls has a doeling for sale right now, who's sister won rewards at some shows for her conformation. She's $200.00 and I really like what I see. I'm guessing that is a good price. I was going to get 2 doelings from St. John's Creamery in Dec. for $100.00 each, but I am concerned about breeding too closely, and it backfiring on me. I'm also looking into a doeling from Edelweiss, but they don't have any available currently. I'm not, nor will be into showing, but I would like to have quality stock for others to show. As far as kinders I will probably just keep what I have for now until I can get my oberhasli clan up and going, if I decide to expand on that then I will otherwise I'm all about getting good oberhasli's. Also, Nubian/Lamancha girls are up for sale... I need the room in the barn:)

#8 ·
That price isn't bad for a good quality Ober.
With St. John's, watch on the pedigree for Little Sky Ranch Hans and Redtail Ridge Linnaea's Lara. They were bred together a few times and...they are full brother and sister. Avoid anything with Ludwigs Mohawk OB Magic Jester, that line was bred simply to keep the black coloring and the results were not great...

#9 ·
I'm with you here on this dilemma Janeen. Currently in my herd I have 1 boer, 2 pygmys, 1 pygerian, and 5 nigerians. Showing is my passion and some of them are going to need to go bye bye. I want a well recognized herd. Especially since I am only 14, I want to be known for having amazing goats. So two of the Nigerian does are going to need to leave, and maybe the buck, too. I love them all, but I have limited space and funds and I have some to terms with that. They are all nice goats, just not what my herd needs. I know it's hard to figure out what you want to do.. Some days I just want a pet herd, some days I just want to breed whatever I want, but I know deep down in my heart that's not what I REALLY want to do. Even though I do not want to sell my buck, not at all, I am 99.9% positive that I have to... I know you get attached to those little buggers and it is hard... :(

#10 ·
That price isn't bad for a good quality Ober. With St. John's, watch on the pedigree for Little Sky Ranch Hans and Redtail Ridge Linnaea's Lara. They were bred together a few times and...they are full brother and sister. Avoid anything with Ludwigs Mohawk OB Magic Jester, that line was bred simply to keep the black coloring and the results were not great...
Do you know if the Okanogan oberhasli line are in those categories? That's where my buck is from, and that is what line he's from. How can I check if I do get stalk from her, which at this point doubtful. Do I just ask for lineage papers on them? Full brother and sister? Yikes, I thought that was a big no no. I did get a hold of the lady I bought my buck from, and she is trying to get papers, she never received from St. John's so I can register him.

#14 ·
I'm with you here on this dilemma Janeen. Currently in my herd I have 1 boer, 2 pygmys, 1 pygerian, and 5 nigerians. Showing is my passion and some of them are going to need to go bye bye. I want a well recognized herd. Especially since I am only 14, I want to be known for having amazing goats. So two of the Nigerian does are going to need to leave, and maybe the buck, too. I love them all, but I have limited space and funds and I have some to terms with that. They are all nice goats, just not what my herd needs. I know it's hard to figure out what you want to do.. Some days I just want a pet herd, some days I just want to breed whatever I want, but I know deep down in my heart that's not what I REALLY want to do. Even though I do not want to sell my buck, not at all, I am 99.9% positive that I have to... I know you get attached to those little buggers and it is hard... :(
Yep, it's hard. I'm not into show or anything, but I do want to have quality goats that people can register and show and win at shows. I'm into the small farm "pet" thing, but I can honestly, realistically only have so many pets. My wethers I'm planning to have them as my brush eating team, for family and friends to be able to rent during the summer. If I get the trailer I want I can throw the sheep in too, although they have plenty to work on here for another year or 2 before I do that. The others yep, milk, and selling the kiddos will be their way in, but they do have to be quality.... Glad someone else is with me Scottyhorse:)

#19 ·
Aw, good job Janeen. Two of the girls I'm selling are also a couple of the originals.. I'm limiting myself to two non useful goats... One wether and one doe who can't reproduce but there is no way I am ever selling her.. She'll be here till the day she's dead. But other than that... No more. Well, my bro might keep a wether for packing. So maybe three :p

#20 ·
Sydney, does your brother want an already trained 2 year old Saanen that has many trail miles and water training already done? He is well over 200lbs.
I also have a started yearling Alpine. With trail miles, water training, and started under saddle.

#21 ·
Yeah, if I wether my ober buck I'll have 4 wethers, probably going to sell the little kinder guy, he'll be weaned in a couple weeks, so I'll put him up for sale then. So I'll have 3 ober wethers, and 2 wether sheep for my little brush eating team:)

#22 ·
Sydney, does your brother want an already trained 2 year old Saanen that has many trail miles and water training already done? He is well over 200lbs.
I also have a started yearling Alpine. With trail miles, water training, and started under saddle.
I dunno.. I'll have to ask. How much are you asking? I am sure a trained goat would be sooo much better than training his own, he's got 0 experience with goats :p

#23 ·
Yeah, if I wether my ober buck I'll have 4 wethers, probably going to sell the little kinder guy, he'll be weaned in a couple weeks, so I'll put him up for sale then. So I'll have 3 ober wethers, and 2 wether sheep for my little brush eating team:)
You're lucky you can rent out goats for brush eating. I would love to do that! We're sooo rural that no one would even blink an eye at a brush eating team ad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.