Myotonic/Fainting goat question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LuvmyGoaties, Aug 12, 2010.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Someone near me was advertising the dispersal of their Myotonic goat herd. They were moving from a rural area into the city. They said in their ad that they would not sell the goats as singles unless you had other fainters and they would not sell them as companions for non-fainters. They said that since they "faint" they could not defend themselves against "regular" goats and "regular" goats would pick on them. Is this true? :whatgoat: Those of you with Myotonic goats, will you sell them to people with "regular" goats? Do you keep them with regular goats?

Jen

2. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Are they horned fainters? Because I know at Allison's place, her Fainters ran the show... The other goats were scared of them, I never saw the Nigis, or even the Nubians give a thought to bothering the fainters...

I only have a myo/nigi cross kid, so I don't know- but I would think that those people only have fainters and just don't know how they act around "other" goats...

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Natalie is correct - my two "horned" myotonics were the herd queens! My other 20 goats would not even look their direction. I have since sold them, and have a polled myo doe running with my nigis and she is wonderful - and I am bringing 2 more into the herd.

Now the boys pen - my myo buckling - well - if it is feeding time - if one of the adults turn to butt him - he has fallen :) but neither harrass each other at all.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I sell mine with other breeds of goats... I do get wary of those with only standard sized goats though. It is easy as a breeder to be able to see which kids personality wise would do just fine mixed in a herd with larger goats though. I wouldn't sell one of my "low on the totem pole" goats to a HERD of non fainters but wouldn't blink an eye at sending a dominant fainter into a herd of non fainters. :) :laugh:

However.... if I'm selling 2 or more goats to the same person that has a different breed I wouldn't be concerned as my fainters would have the ability to form their own mini herd until they are accepted by their new herdmates.

Hope that helps.

5. suthrn_swthrt_kendell

suthrn_swthrt_kendell New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Im from orange grove texas and I have been looking for a some what local seller of fainters... ive wanted some for so long now.. me and my husband have 5 acres and building our home so are ready to buy some goats perfect for our place... anyone selling who can help me out please let me know... thank you

6. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    This is an old thread from 2010. May I suggest you check out www.myotonicgoatregistry.net They have a breeder directory you can look at.