Myotonic question

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by kelebek, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How old are babies when you can do an accurate assessment of their mytonisism?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    It depends on the individual goat. I have some kids that are 5's by 2-3 days of age. I've also had kids that I rated as 1 or 2 at 10 weeks old that suddenly started showing their myotonia and would have been rated 4 or 5 at 6 months of age.

I register all of my kids between 8-12 weeks of age..... but the score is probably not always accurate. I always rate under.... RARELY do I rate a kid as a 6.... in 6 years of breeding I've only had 4 goats that were true 6's I personally think it is too extreme.... they have a hard time functioning. You always see 6 ratings on paper.... but the goats are rarely a true 6. So just try to be realistic. If your kids fall over on a regular basis.... they are a 4 or a 5 depending on how often and for how long. If they walk stiffened 24/7 they are a 6. If they fall occassionaly a 3. If you only see them stiffen not falling over a 2... 1 is they don't faint.

Hope that helps, :)

Did you see my new buckling? He is going to be gorgeous. :wink:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, you are killing me with the myo kids that you are producing!!!! I just named the kids like an hour ago. They have not shown any signs of stiffening or fainting yet. There dam has only fainted once that i have seen since December - but she locks up constantly and goes down on her front legs and walks with a swivel. Not sure on the sire.

Pending registration ---

SLR Show-N-Tell (sold)
    [​IMG]

SLR Little ShowOff (available)
    [​IMG]

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    They are very cute. :) Still too young to worry about rating them yet though. You should start to see stiffening around 2-3 weeks old. That 2nd one looks just like my doeling dazzle from last season. :love:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is amazing the difference between the two... the top one is "thick" and stalky - the second one is a little thinner... but then again there was a 1/2 pound difference at birth