The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a myotonic which has a tendency to cough or get choked allot. Usually it happens when he gets startled or while he is eating. It's not really coughing as much as it is choking. I have both his mother and his sister on the property. Might bought them all from a local breeder. He was whethered and was about 7 months old when I bought him. We noticed the choking while we were loading him the day we brought him home. However, we were just starting out and have now had him for 4 months. He doesn't do it often. Sometimes it's several days before he does it. But it's often enough that we notice it.
He is healthy and plays with all the bucks we have him in with. His sister has only done it once or twice since we brought them home. He is growing very good and is certainly eating great. We feed him a mix from our local feed mill. And they have plenty of browse and hay to eat as well.
I have read allot about coughing but this is more like getting choked. It's not constant. Once he is done with a spell he is fine and doesn't do it again until maybe the next day.
Is there anything to be worried about? Should I give him something or treat him with anything? His food is not too dusty. But that wouldn't explain why he does it sometimes when they are all coming to get food and one startles him and he gets choked.
Thanks in advance for the help

Phillip

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I'm not familiar with the way myotonia works with Myatonics but is it possible that the "freeze and faint" reaction is just very strong with him? Not enough to cause him to go into full faint but enough to cause a paralytic action in the muscles of his jaw and throat? Assuming that a Myotonic is similar to a Fainter that is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are fainting goats and we were thinking the same thing. I know there are different degrees of fainting. He doesn't tip over but he faints very easily. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
I would have a check in throat real well to be sure there isnt a sticker lodged in there..watch your fingers, those back teeth are sharp..use a syringe (no needle) to place between his jaws to prevent him from biting down...have a helper hold him and the syringe and have a flash light handy...long handles tweezers are handy for this...if you cant see anything, a vet might have better luck..at the very least he could give check up..
Also, watch him eat...see if he is a nibbler or gobbler.. gobblers tend to choke..

best wishes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good suggestion. I will take a look. He is definitely a gobbler. Lol. He loves to eat.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Great idea. I have a friend that their goat had a huge cyst that was cancer. Had b it removed and all is fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts