Mysterious Eye Problems—Can Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by creaturesall, Jun 23, 2010.

1. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Hi folks:
    It's been a good while since I've posted here on The Goat Spot. Up until very recently, all 3 of my fainting goats,; Daisy, Dolly & Petunia (Tuna) have had no problems. They get regular 6 month vet visits along with all preventive vaccines. But now, Dolly, the smallest of the 3 has developed an eye problem that seems to be baffling my vet. About 6 weeks ago I started to notice that her left eye was looking swollen. The problem progressed for 3 or 4 days before I called the vet and she put her on a daily 4cc oral antibiotic regimen of ENROFLOXACIN. I have followed that process faithfully and after almost a month on the medicine, I've seen absolutely no decrease in swelling.

It is noteworthy that there are absolutely no other symptoms accompanying this eye issue. She eats aggressively, shows no pain reaction and often uses that side of her head to butt her sisters out of the food treat bucket. There is no discharge from the eye and she flinches when I make as if to poke it, showing her sight is alright.

Is there anyone out there who has ever experienced anything like this? I have to admit I'm bamboozled. Any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated. These 3 are only 3 years old and all have remained healthy (until now, that is).

BAD EYE
    [​IMG]

EYE DIFFERENCES

[​IMG]

GOOD EYE
    [​IMG]

EYE FROM ABOVE
    [​IMG]

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    You need to go in and check all of the eyelid layers for stickers.... that looks like she has something in there or she may have cut it and it is infected. I've had quite a few get stiickers lodged sooooo far back in the eyelid. OUCH!!!!

3. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks for the advice, Jess. The vet originally thought that there might be something causing an infection and prescribed the antibiotic to fight it. As I mentioned, Dolly shows absolutely no pain reflex from the swelling. She uses that side of her head to butt the other two out of the way quite regularly. Has your experience with 'stickers' reflected that kind of reaction or did your goats show pain sensitivity?

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well the problem with stickers is depending on where it is located... she may or may not be in a lot of pain. My doe did have a watery eye though... then the eye turned cloudy and she lost her vision for awhile. But.... that was just from where the sticker was located. It wouldn't hurt to go in and thoroughly check the eye for debris.... all of the antibiotics you can give wouldn't help if the irritation was still in the eye. Have you been giving her terramycin in her eye?

If there isn't anything IN the eye... I'd say that is an injury... maybe she got a branch or horn in the eye. :( Hopefully in that case it will heal with time and not continue to get worse.

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Mine sometimes get hay scratches, either right on the eyball or up under the lids, also we have foxtail rye weeds and those foxtails can work their way in till you can't even find them and become infected. Have you tried plain old Tetracycline eye goop?

6. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Haven't tried any eye compresses or drops. The vet suggested that if drops were to prove part of the solution then one would expect there to have been some kind of discharge from the eye as a symptom of the problem. Dolly has had no such discharge. We did have a lot of foxtail in their winter feed this year. Enough that I was concerned that some problems might result, but (unless this eye thing is just such a problem) we have detected nothing. I am going to find a new feed provider before winter, that's for sure. I will be asking the vet about Tetracycline as well. All that said, do these photos look anything like what you have seen in your own goats, either scratches or stickers? The problem hasn't gotten any worse over the last weeks . . . it just hasn't improved.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It may be that.... it is from injury....you say... she uses that side to spar...she may be further damaging it.....could be that....she gotten hit really hard and it caused nerve damage..... being there is no pain.... drainage.... and it did not respond to antibiotics..... the nerves have no more feeling..... and the muscle that holds the eye skin in place.... may be permanently damaged... :hug:

8. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks Pam. That is a theory I hadn't considered. The problem now remains to find what the specific injury may be and how best to treat it. It seems to me that the swelling must be the result of an infection brought on by injury or a particle inside the eye. I'm hoping the vet will have some magic left in her bag that will help solve the specifics. Thanks to all who have ventured to help and to any others who have ideas.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...hope it helps...keep us updated..... :hug:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm Bob I remember you said something to me on Facebook but no I havent experienced anything like that. when my goats have eye issues it usually weeps and thats how i know they got injured or there is an infection etc

you certainly have a strange case there :scratch:

11. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks stacy:

I'm not really sure what to do now. I asked my vet about what Pam said above and she said that if there were extensive nerve damage you wouldn't expect to see Dolly's 'blink' response to be unaffected. The fact that the swelling hasn't increased over the last month & a half also, thankfully, suggests there is no underlying tumor. I guess I have no alternative other than to just watch and see. Maybe this is a condition she can live with. It sure does look painful though.

12. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    If the antibiotics didn't help, then either it's a bug that wasn't susceptible to whatever you administered or it's not related to an infectious process.. The fact that it's not crusty or weeping or anything like that would seem to indicate the latter...that it's not an infection at all.

Having said that, you might consider asking your vet about a round of dexamethasone.. Inflammation of any kind -- be it related to an infection or wound or irritation or what have you -- is the product of an immune system response. Specifically, pro-inflammatory cytokines.. Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid, and corticosteroids are immune system killers. Inflammation basically gets turned OFF when dex is introduced to the system.

If the vet still thinks it could be an infection, he/she probably won't recommend it...but if it's injury related or something to that effect, it might be really helpful. Your vet will almost certainly also want to accompany the dex with a round of antibiotics as a precautionary measure, since the goat will basically be immune-compromised during the treatment with dex. If the vet agrees to the dex but doesn't mention antibiotics, mention it yourself. ;)

The good news is that dex is crazy cheap; I bought a 100ml vial of it for my own cabinet from the vet for under $20.

Personally, I think it's a good thing for any goatkeeper to have on hand for situations like this, and also for the treatment of urinary calculi.. Inflammation is HUGE in treating UC - dex saves lives. It can also used to induce labor in bred does...I've never had to use it that way, but I'd choose it over Lutalyse if I were inducing early in the case of toxemia or something to that effect because A) it's an appetite stimulant and good to make toxemic does EAT, and B) there's at least some evidence that it works like 'steriods' they give human moms-to-be to help their baby's lungs develop when they have to be induced/c-sectioned early. Indeed, it's one of the very same drugs they give; either betamethasone or dexamethasone.

It induces goats, though...but not humans, I guess.

Just a few thoughts. :)

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....I am sure it is from some sort of injury.... I am praying ...that she will be OK and that she will go back to normal really soon..... :hug: :pray:

I have to agree... that Dex... is great in taking down swellings ....deep down...in the nerve areas ....and given with an antibiotic is crucial.... if your vet ...wants to try it.. :thumb:

14. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to speak with my vet about dexamethasone. I'm encouraged to hear of something which specifically targets swelling. It seems odd :whatgoat: that 'swelling' is the one and only symptom presenting itself. I'll keep you apprised of any developments as they happen. Again . . Thank You!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are so very welcome...good luck....I am..sending prayers for your goat... :hug: :pray:

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    On the ambulance, we would use Decadron (dexamethasone) for major head injuries to prevent the brain from swelling. :wink:

17. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Hi everyone:

Just an update re: Dolly. I actually printed off for the vet all of the TGS posts re: your suggestions concerning Dolly and she tends to agree with cmjust0 that a steroid is the next recommended procedure. She suggested we start on a regimen of Prednozone with an antibiotic chaser to see if the swelling can be addressed. I'll let you know how we do.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Please do let us know how she does on the pred, I was curious to know if a goat could be treated with prednisone, it certainly helps with inflammation in dogs as well as people, I hope it helps your sweet girl.

19. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Well, Dolly has finished her Pred regimen as well as another round of antibiotics. After some 2 mos of virtually full time treatment there is absolutely no change in her eye condition. It is no better and, thankfully, no worse. The vet says there isn't much left to try except MRI's and exploratory surgery (at least $1500) and then no guarantee we'll be any the wiser.

I guess so long as Dolly is showing no signs of discomfort or distress, I will opt to just continue monitoring her. Thanks to all for your helpful and concerned advice. If there's anything either I or the vet has not considered, I'd love to have you share it.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow....... sorry Bob.... that she didn't improve for you.....hopefully... it won't get worse....and she can live as normal and comfortable life.... as she can..... that eye thing.... is a big mystery for sure...... :hug: