The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost a 9 yr old female recently. Really trying to figure out what happened. It’s been 2 weeks, all other goats are healthy. She was in perfect health Thursday pm night check great weight, healthy shiny coat, good appetite, chewing cud and normal bowels, Early on Friday am she was having seizures, loss of vision and progressed to not being able to get up. Vet pulled blood and began treatment for Polio. Third dose of thiamine on Saturday afternoon she began showing marked improvement. Eating, drinking, no more seizures. Saturday evening continued improvement(eating leaves, drinking, no seizures) then laid down and suddenly passed. Bloodwork showed elevated liver count and liver issues but I have no real answers. Greatest concern is could it have been caused by a toxin? Would a healthy goat suddenly come down with Polio?
She’s been on a diet of Purina Goat Chow, loose minerals and mix of perennial, alfalfa and Bermuda hay her entire life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we administered Banamine every 12 hrs. Never had elevated temperature. Definitely had loss of vision and elevated respiratory but her rate returned to normal after seizures stopped.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss...Has a necropsy been done? Sounds like possible Listeriosis. Rabies is another scary possibility. Please have an necropsy to know for sure.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Vet pulled blood and began treatment for Polio. Third dose of thiamine on Saturday
afternoon she began showing marked improvement. Eating, drinking, no more seizures. Saturday evening continued improvement(eating leaves, drinking, no seizures) then laid down and suddenly passed. Bloodwork showed elevated liver count and liver issues but I have no real answers. Greatest concern is could it have been caused by a toxin? Would a healthy goat suddenly come down with Polio?
She's been on a diet of Purina Goat Chow, loose minerals and mix of perennial, alfalfa and Bermuda hay her entire life.
Wow, so much here. I would rather get rid of my goats than feed them Purina. It isn't a fixed formula food so every bag is different. Their minerals are some better but, I was really glad to move away from their mill.
Yes, your healthy goat can get polio but, there wasn't enough B given. Every 6 hours is standard. She probably should have had an antibiotic as well.
Your diet is lacking in calcium. Feeds only test as is, NOT as digested.
Was she tested for liver fluke or had a harsh wormer like quest already been given?
What minerals are being fed,? Do they have a cobalt source and a salt source? A boron source and a D3 source?
Do you need these? Yeah, I wouldn't know. I've lived in the same state most of my life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are saying Banamine ever 6 hours? Never heard of it used more regularly than 12 but I am mostly dosing horses. The vet did administer an antibiotic on day one when she pulled blood.
No harsh wormers, I hate Quest so would never use it. The herd was last wormed 6 wks prior.
They have both a Manna Pro free choice loose mineral which has everything you listed and several salt blocks. The alfalfa is high in calcium.

We've checked all areas for toxic plants found none except a patch of "pigweed" so I was concern if some came in my hay, searched my supply and didn't find any. I also have a very large horse farm, all eating the same hay and no illnesses. Mystery frustratingly continues. Went 10 years without losing one then I lost 4 this summer. (Other 3 to stray pit bull attack that jumped a 6ft wall into my barn) She was such a fighter, just sad,

Wow, so much here. I would rather get rid of my goats than feed them Purina. It isn't a fixed formula food so every bag is different. Their minerals are some better but, I was really glad to move away from their mill.
Yes, your healthy goat can get polio but, there wasn't enough B given. Every 6 hours is standard. She probably should have had an antibiotic as well.
Your diet is lacking in calcium. Feeds only test as is, NOT as digested.
Was she tested for liver fluke or had a harsh wormer like quest already been given?
What minerals are being fed,? Do they have a cobalt source and a salt source? A boron source and a D3 source?
Do you need these? Yeah, I wouldn't know. I've lived in the same state most of my life.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
B1 is thiamine. So you either give thiamine or a B complex with enough B1 in it every 6 hours. Plus a big dose of penicillin every six hours. Along with that you give either Banamine or Dexamethazone to reduce brain stem swelling. (I hope I said that right) I'm so sorry that you lost four in a short time. Did you "take care" of the dogs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B1 is thiamine. So you either give thiamine or a B complex with enough B1 in it every 6 hours. Plus a big dose of penicillin every six hours. Along with that you give either Banamine or Dexamethazone to reduce brain stem swelling. (I hope I said that right) I'm so sorry that you lost four in a short time. Did you "take care" of the dogs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just rechecked w/ vet. We did 3 ml thiamine every 8, banamine every 12. If it ever comes up again I’ll definitely change to 6. Sad that she showed such improvement then gone. She was kinda a witch but I loved her.

Yes, dog is gone, gone. Luckily animal control worker lives close by and sent them to catch it. It was terrible, only damage was to throat of each one, and bite marks at throats of several that survived. He killed just for fun. Of course got the sweetest ones. Luckily I live on the property and heard my dog barking around 4:30am
I caught him in the act and was absolutely stunned as he jump right back over the 6 ft barn wall. I always thought they were safe in there:( We now have wire panels covering the top 2 ft to the roof.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I just rechecked w/ vet. We did 3 ml thiamine every 8, banamine every 12. If it ever comes up again I'll definitely change to 6. Sad that she showed such improvement then gone. She was kinda a witch but I loved her.

Yes, dog is gone, gone. Luckily animal control worker lives close by and sent them to catch it. It was terrible, only damage was to throat of each one, and bite marks at throats of several that survived. He killed just for fun. Of course got the sweetest ones. Luckily I live on the property and heard my dog barking around 4:30am
I caught him in the act and was absolutely stunned as he jump right back over the 6 ft barn wall. I always thought they were safe in there:( We now have wire panels covering the top 2 ft to the roof.
Sorry for your loss of the goats.
Great that the dog was taken away, that was terrible.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Wow, so much here. I would rather get rid of my goats than feed them Purina. It isn't a fixed formula food so every bag is different.
I have to say, I use "Purina" nobel goat grower, which now is called, Purina goat grower at TSC.
Not all Purina products are bad, so I am hoping no one will get the wrong idea here, saying what was mentioned.
I am keeping my goats and keeping my goat grower from Purina. ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm glad the dog is gone. Our neighbors dogs got some of ours last year and they are still there..

Just for clarity, the Banamine or Dex is given as you normally give it. The penn and B1 are every 6 hours. I don't want someone to see this and give the Banamine incorrectly.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
We just had a young doe with what we believe was listeriosis. Our protocol for this or polio ( since they have many of the same symptoms) is

500mg thiamine every 6 hours
Penicillin 1 cc per 10# sub Q every 6 hours (I choose the reg Pen over 48 hour)
Dexamethsone 1 cc per 20# IM once a day (can do Banamine if the goat is pregnant, but Dex is better imo)

This is on a 24 hour clock.

We do this until all symptoms are gone for a full 24 hours then we begin weening off by going every 8 hours, then every 12 ..we watch carful for any backsliding. Rosie made a full recovery. Always ween goats off Dex when on more than a few days.

Again, im sorry for your loss

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Pit Bulls, a type of bull dog (not a breed by itself) were bred to succeed in a "sport" called bull baiting, in a small arena called a "pit" that the bull could not escape from. They have incredibly powerful jaws. That's why a rogue dog goes for the throat. That and that's how wolves tend to kill, too.

Bullies are great animals, I love them to bits. But they do require mindful handling. All the bully breeds are gladiator that require mindful handling.

On the "pit" issue, it did not have to be a dug pit in the ground, the small arenas were called pits. It just had to contain the "combatants" Cock fights, dog fights, bull baiting, and bear beating, also ratting (I forgot ratting that terriers were used in) all took place in pits.

More totally useless trivia FYI, TMI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts