The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all I thought I'd post this here to see if anyone has any ideas that might help. I have a Nubian doe Laverne who is 3 years old and shes my best milker she gave birth to twins in late March. She's been up and down mostly down for the past month. First I noticed her limping a bit and I pulled a very small thorn from her foot. I'm not sure if thats related to whats wrong with her or not. She started acting more and more confused and disoriented. She did not line up for her turn on the milk stand and was less interested in eating over the course of a week. She also kept losing the herd and crying on her way from the barn out to the back pasture. She had a temperature and I did some reading and decided it might be goat polio so I gave her penicillan and thiamine every day... she seemed to be getting a little better... then she fell off bad and I thought she was dying... I took her to the vet immediately and she had 105 temp and was completely out of it... he gave her a battery of shots including antitoxin (she had cdt booster earlier this year)... LA 200... electrolytes and something for her brain swelling which I continued giving with the LA 200 and probios for 3 more days. She got better her fever was gone she was less disoriented resumed following the other goats to the pasture but never has been quite herself, needs help to get on the stand and seems less lively. I assumed she was healthy but the brain swelling may have altered her personality. Well that was about 2 weeks ago since she was at the vet and started recovering but now I think shes going back down again. She wouldnt get up for the stand this morning though when I got her on there she did eat well. She got lost following the other goats from the barn and her eyes seem half closed. She has a slight temp so I started again with penicillan... needless to say Im at a loss I dont know what the vet did that worked I guess if she doesnt snap out I'll have to take her back up there...

Also forgot to mention I wormed her at the start of this with valbazen and the vet did also and no other goats are sick... and her poop has looked good throughout.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
1,384 Posts
It sounds like you and the vet are doing a lot for her, First thing that came to mind was listeriosis. But you have clearly been treating for that. make sure you give her probios with all those meds, I would give her some every day.
I have no other suggestions. Clearly with a increased temp, It would be bacterial. I did here that listeriosis is really bad this year if you are in an area that has been getting a lot of rain.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would be contacting the vet -- seems like he has a treatment routine that was working, might have needed to continue a bit longer. we all woudl just be speculating at this point. Better to continue with the one who treated her effectively already before.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks you guys for the input. I did get back in touch with the vet and she gave me some more of the steroid she had given before for brain swelling. I'm giving Laverne a shot of that and Penicillin each day along with Probios and some Thiamine orally hoping it gives her energy (that last was my idea not the vets hope it doesnt hurt). She has improved today, her temperature has dropped from almost 105 to 103.8... still a little high I think. She's also alot stronger stood up on her own on the stand instead of leaning on me. She also has a good appetite she ate alot of grain and wants to go out to eat in the pasture, but she still lost the other goats on their way out, she isnt really alert enough to keep up with the herd and seems to have a shirt attention span and get preoccupied with other things like kicking at flies even though there arent many. So I drug her in some branches and shes happy eating them.

One other thing I noticed is shes walking funny with her back legs kicking them far out to the side, at first I thought she was kicking at flies, but shes doing it regularly. She also has a very large udder which hangs down a little so she walks a little awkwardly anyhow. I wondered if the stiff legs could be a sign of tetanus? As I said she has had CDT booster in spring and an antitoxin shot 2 weeks ago but the first I noticed of this whole ordeal was a small thorn in her hoof making her limp.... the vet also said she could have a brain tumor and the steroid relieves the pressure temporarily but it will come back...

Good grief. I have no idea.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read up on Meningeal worm and that sounds pretty right on with the situation on my farm... very wet alot of woods the goats and cows are clearing, ponds, high rate of deer infestation ... as well as her symptoms. So my question is what additional treatment should she get in addition to penicillin and steroids? Should she be wormed more and what wormer would be most effective? Secondly are my other goats grazing in the same areas at high risk then and what can be done as a preventative measure?

Thanks.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I read on tennesseemeatgoats site that I should do Ivomec Plus at 1 cc per 25 lbs for 7 days straight does that sound right?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm also treating for M worm right now, I started with the Safeguard. For 5 days then Ivomec plus for 3. I also have been doing a LOT of reading.. I knew about the dangers of M worm in camelids but was not aware (nor were my vets) that goats can get it as well. When I talked to my vet about treating for M worm she replied, "can't hurt".
I'm on second day of Safeguard.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
Safeguard is more important because it crosses the blood brain barrier. I would just do the Ivomec for 3 days. Do Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs (liquid) for 5 days in a row. Plus Banamine or Dex for pain/inflammation.

You can do Ivomec and Safeguard at the same time.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Do both safeguard and ivermectin. I don't like to contradict you Karen but I've been told the opposite about safeguard in goats so I'm more convinced that ivermectin is needed after my research on the worm.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Safeguard is more important because it crosses the blood brain barrier. I would just do the Ivomec for 3 days. Do Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs (liquid) for 5 days in a row.
Is this the dosage for the liquid safeguard which is specifically for goats? I got that at TSC and the bottle says 2.3 mL/100 lbs... just seems like a tremendous difference.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
The bottle instructions isn't enough Safeguard. Normal dosage is 1cc per 10 lbs.

Do the Ivomec and the Safeguard at the same time. Do the 7 days of Ivomec if you feel that is better.

·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello I just wanted to come back and update on my goat Laverne in case others are having similar symptoms and also to thank those who have helped, especially Karen and Dobe who 1st suggested the Meningeal worm...

Laverne is doing much better. Yesterday and today she actually waited at the gate for her turn to eat on the stand and jumped up there on her own after just a bit of hesitation. This in itself is better than she's been able to do in almost a month. She still is just a little off as once or twice a day she gets lost from the other goats in the pasture and runs back to the barn yelling when she realizes shes alone. I've watched her out there and she just gets busy eating and forgets to pay attention to the others when they walk on. She is much more lucid than she was prior to treatment, however.

I gave her a full week of Ivomec Plus and Safeguard orally along with a shot of Penicillin each day for 7 days and Probios paste with all the meds. She also had Dexamethosone shots for 3 days that the vet gave me to reduce swelling in the brain. Yesterday was her last dose of wormers and penicillin and today I gave her nothing so I'm crossing my fingers that she doesnt backslide again as she did before. If she doesn't then I have to assume the meningeal worm was the correct diagnosis. So thank you very much for that suggestion as my vet had not suggested additional worming.

If she does have a relapse then I'm dreading that the vet could have been right about a brain tumor and perhaps the steroids shrink it temporarily?

The remaining question I have is... if this is meningeal worm and the conditions on my farm seem very much to favor that... its been wet, Ive seen many slugs, and it was overrun with whitetail deer until recently... then is there any sort of prevention program I can pursue to decrease the odds of another goat getting it? I have been only worming twice a year or when they show signs they need it in order to preserve the potency of the meds. Should I worm more often on a regular schedule and would that help if another goat ingested a contaminated slug? Also does anyone know how long this stuff stays in the soil? I mean I've always been sort of against hunting my land... I'm not a hunter myself and have resisted the requests of many friends and family to hunt in my woods always giving the excuse that I have a bunch of little goats that look like deer and I dont want anyone shooting anything here. But if the deer are endangering my goats I may reconsider if actively removing them would lower the risk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help. Without it Im about 90% sure Laverne wouldnt have made it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know the preventative treatment for alpacas and llamas is a monthly injection of either Ivomec 1% or Dectomax. I think all this moist weather has made the situation worse this year. My little doe is also doing better with the M worm treatment but then again if she had a pinched nerve perhaps she would also be better with rest and the steroids she got.??

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I've always wondered why not treat the deer? Putting out a dish of deer corn with a couple of Safeguard cattle blocks for them to lick may make a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts