Mystery animal or something else?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tgmcr, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    I have been dealing with a bit of a mystery this past week. This Sunday I went to let the goats out and saw odd digging marks in front of my does’ stall. I followed the marks/tracks and it led to outside of the fence in the woods. I know for a fact it wasn’t there the night before when everyone got put to bed.
    Wednesday I found more digging right in front of the gate but it was from inside of their pen.
    then this morning...I found 2 decent sized piles of dirt in the does stall. They have rubber mats so I know they aren’t digging up anything, and their stall was totally clean last night when I put them to bed. I wasn’t sure what it was at first and I got worried but it is definitely dirt.
    their stalls are made of horse stalls and they have metal bars on the front, so there are small openings, but only on the upper half of the front wall.
    My wethers are in the attached stall 10ft away and there has been no disturbances there.
    What in the world could be causing this? I will note that I live in the middle of the woods in Connecticut. We do have coyotes but I couldn’t see this being from them.
    I do have a camera out there, but the night vision is terrible at best so it’s time to invest in a new one.
    D03B3484-82BD-4251-8157-41EBB778327C.jpeg D92178C2-0465-4A8F-97BC-75CD6B90785D.jpeg FECEFDFD-8C3A-462E-93DD-4650AF86D9F7.jpeg 09B87203-1142-4F12-86B7-E4C3C0976B3D.jpeg 99AFCE81-1A38-40EB-BB09-14F13DA8D2D5.jpeg

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I cannot see any distinct paws or claws. My thought since it is only at the does.... a rutting buck deer maybe? Are your ladies in heat?

MadHouse likes this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

It must be aliens.

Just kidding. That is really a mystery. Maybe a rodent did it? But then why would you have seen tracks? Very odd...

MadHouse likes this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am thinking a small animal that can get through the fence and find a hole to get in the barn, maybe from underneath? Or maybe they climbed up the walls to the bars to getin the does’ stall to find some yummies?
    Voles maybe or moles?
    Look along the edges of the mats. Is there a spot that a rodent could have come up through? Chew marks on the mats?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Racoon, groundhog?

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
  7. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    El Chupacabra!

groovyoldlady likes this.
  8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

My stalls have these too. These here in SA are caused by field mice. I domt know if you have the same

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have a few squirrels that hide the acorns this way. They do usually have the same locations.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you have a video cam?

It will let you know what it is. ;)

11. Tgmcr

Tgmcr Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Connecticut
    I lifted up the mats out of curiosity and discovered this BE56AD33-DA00-4F3F-A66D-B36719260423.jpeg so I definitely think have a little creature burrowing around here. It makes since that it wouldn’t be an issue with the boys’ stall because they have cement pavers under stair stall, not dirt

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Looks loke a mole

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I have a skunk that randomly makes tiny holes in the yard looking for grubs

MadHouse likes this.
  15. Nudanud

Nudanud Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Looks to me like the rat burrows we get in the barn. So it could probably be any small burrowing animal trying to move in for the winter. ‍♀️

MadHouse likes this.
  16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I have those all over my barn and chicken coops right now. Rats. I am currently waging war against them. They had a great summer, so those tunnels, holes and piles of dirt are everywhere.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California