Mystery Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Wcd, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    So some time ago we brought home two Kiko does, sadly we lost one due to a venomous snake. The other one gave birth to a buck, we call him G-Man short for Grumpy because when he was born I gave him some Nutri Drench, which he was not happy about.

We have tried contacting the seller of the does to no avail. The big mystery is who the buck was as at the time we did not have a buck and have not had one prior to his birth.

Odd thing is he is going to be a big boy based on his hoof size, and he has a very thick curly coat. He is a beautiful maple color, we just have no idea what he is besides Half Kiko.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Are you able to post photos?

If his coat is very curly, he may be part Cashmere.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Sorry you lost one. Yes, pictures would be very helpful.

Angora goats have very curly hair too and can be decently sized.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My 1st Kiko' x boer buckling had curly wavy hair until he was about 6 months old.
    Sorry you lost a doe.

Garnet-the-goat and MadHouse like this.
  5. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN

Funny thing is my wife has a cashmere sweater and that’s what I was thinking. He is a sweet heart so we are keeping him.

6. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    I am not sure how to add an image but I will give it a whirl.

I have a close friend that is a farmer and he tells me welcome to farming when we have a set back. He is always good intentioned. And he has helped us quite a bit. One piece of advice he gave us is snakes are fine as long as they are not in your pasture, so now if I see one they are dispatched immediately. Not trying to be offensive, but you do what you have to keep livestock safe and cared for.

7. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    We’re they very tight curls? I usually brush him because leaves etc seem to get caught up in his coat.

8. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    00000_ifhcwTd5Ozf_600x450.jpg
    This was when.it started to straighten out

9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

He is a beautiful boy. It would be great to know what his dad is.

11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Honestly, most likely the goat isn’t going to tell you much on the breed. Some lines of different breeds throw wavy curly hair, and some goats that have copper deficiency have beautiful curly soft hair.
    The doe in the back ground has thick curly hair but she was a pain of a goat on keeping up on her copper. IMG_3478.jpg
    The buck I have is wonderful about annoying me with throwing nice curly haired kids, but these are all full boer IMG_3473.jpg IMG_3474.jpg IMG_3476.jpg
    I need time to dig deeper into my pictures but I had a 3/4 boer 1/4 Nubian kid one year that was born with the most curliest hair I have ever seen. Like if there was a sheep within miles of me I would have sworn it was a geep, it was that bad.
    I’m on the app, and I’m assuming your on a PC so maybe someone can walk you threw posting a picture. Or if you would like you are more then welcome to email it to me and I’ll post for you ;) [email protected]

12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Can you copy an image on your computer and paste into the body of the post? That’s how I do it.

13. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    You are absolutely right, he really did not tell me much when I asked him, lol. :nod::nod:
    But seriously you have some really nice looking goats. I am using an IPad so I am going to take some pictures this weekend, and see if I can figure it out. I leave for work about O5:30 and do not get home till around 20:00 so it will have to be a weekend thing as we do not have good lighting in our pasture and barn.

14. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Thanks I am going to try to get some images uploaded.

15. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I believe one of the early breeds that were used to make the Boer goats were either Angora or Cashmere, so that would explain the wavy hair. I had one doe that always had kids with the wavy coats. When I asked one of the judges (a long time and founding breeder in the US) told me about the breeds that went into developing the Boer, he said that my kids wavy hair was normal.

Moers kiko boars likes this.