Mystery tattoo?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay, I have been trying to find out the origins of my Alpine doe. The inside of her ear is black, so I never saw any tattoo. Someone emailed me and told me to stick a flashlight behind her ears and shine through them to see if I can find anything. I was exited to see a mark! But, then dissapointed, because there was nothing I could really identify her by. There is no "code" just a large pin-prick looking circle in her ear. Does this mean something???

Dayna

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there will be a tattoo in each ear. If you cant read a tattoo easily it is very hard to be certain what it says.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

tattoos will consist of three to five letters and numbers in one ear, this is her herd tattoo. Every breeder that registers goats is assigned a herd tatoo. This is what traces the animal to the herd. The other ear will have a letter a-b this corrosponds with the year the animal is born, this years was z next year will be a. After the letter there will be a number, this is the order the kids was born into the herd.
    most breeders used green ink as it is way easier to read.
    beth

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    The tattoo is in the left ear. Maybe it is a "Q" I was told that she was 5 in October, but she very well could have been mistaken.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Q is not used in the dairy goat registry, along with G I O or U, These letters look too much like other letters and can be really hard to read, so they are not used.
    beth

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

October is an odd time for a birthdate, though i know other does that have been born then. here is a good site on telling age by teeth http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/4H/meatgoa ... atfs11.htm
    But after four or five years its really hard to tell. AS by now they have all sets of sdult teeth. you can usually tell an older animal by the wear and tear on their teeth though. They will worn down as they get older.
    beth

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Those letters are not used for the year registry, but they are used for farm id's. my farm id is OBIC