The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in late late may, my doe Sabrina grew a lump on her right shoulder. She also had another smaller one that went away fast about 5 inches below that one. We left it alone, watched closely, took a bunch of caution steps.
Didn't quarantine her because where she was at the breeder didn't feel it was nessasary.. -_- I couldn't believe it.
Well, it's now September and here is where we are, the lump changed shape a little, it's more stretched out. It hasn't gotten bigger. Hasn't popped. Hasn't really changed. No one got one.
BUT I did notice a giant bug land on another doe and did NOT want to come off of her. It was imbedded in her. So gross.
I told my other friend that is a goat farmer, he said that the bug probably implanted eggs in Sabrina and there's nothing I can do....?
What do I do?
I am suppose to show her in November....

Plant Grass Dog breed Fawn Grazing

Oh.. & she's pregnant ....

Attachments

·
730 Posts
I would probably poke a big gauge needle in it, and just see what, if anything comes out...(while taking preventive measures of course.) If some type of cheesy substance happens to come out and I didn't know what it was.. I would send a sample of it to the vet, or waddle for testing.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fd123!!!

I was thinking about doing that. :)
What do others think about this idea?
Someone had told me it cod hurt her in the long run cause I'm disturbing the "oh so precious" bugs lol

·
Registered
31,462 Posts
were you able to get the embedding bug off the other goat before it burried itself? I would do some research to see what kind of bug it was and how it lays its eggs...if it seems like this could be the lump your gal has, lancing the lump might be a good idea, hopefullly ther is a soft area to do this, taking safetly measures of course...or have a vet look at her...as with any kind of treatment like lancing, disbudding or banding..begin with a tetanus antitoxin shot ;)
do keep us posted...pix would be good if you can of the bug and what you find in the lump..

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I had one of our dogs get a lump on his back one time. When it burst, there was a huge grub worm in it :sick: it was gross, but I got it out and cleaned the open area well and it healed and he never had a problem again.

Have you had your vet look at it? If you are planning to show her, it wouldn't hurt to have him look at her now so that when he does the health papers (if you have to have them for the show) he will know that the lump was already there and didn't just pop up. If it has been there that long, I highly doubt it is any kind of normal abscess... I did have a doe that got a lump on her side, over her ribs, for no reason. Never did anything and never went away. It was pretty hard though so I never tried to lance it or anything. If you have bugs that are trying to burrow into your goats there is a good possibility that is what she has.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did get that bug off of the other doe but man was that a nasty thing! Lol
I haven't had the vet look at her because if it's something I can do myself.... I rather not drag him into it.
He's not one to do stuff. Just tells you how to do it.
When I get the health papers, I will have him look her over.
I just made the decision to not show her.
Ill let her be a brood doe this year.
Eww.... I think I'm going to have my boyfriend do all that cute stuff ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks toth! I looked At that, I also googled some pictures of them.
There were some bee looking pictures then some giant black horse fly looking things. And the giant horse fly looking this is EXACTLY what was on the other doe.....
The only problem I see with a warble fly is, she isn't/hasn't lost any hair at all.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm getting the heebie-jeebies from this thread. reminds me of the show "monsters inside me". *shudder*

I hope you figure this out soon, and I REALLY hope it's not some bug growing inside your girl.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Ditto, nchen! I'm going to be freaking out about bugs all day! Hope it goes away Emmilie! I mean, it would be great if it just disappeared, right? ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah.......

I think it is SO gross.
To think while she is procreating, something else is procreating INSIDE OF HER!!!! D: bleeekkkk.

Monsters inside me....... Like the worm implant in the girls eye? Or the tapeworms 37ft long?? Yukk.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
eewwww!! my friend somehow got an amoeba in her stomach when she was pregnant. she was looking for worming meds that wasn't contra-indicative to her pregnancy. I didn't have goats then, so I couldn't help... haha

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How in the world....? Ok that's just crazy.

Maybe I should have a "monsters inside me" only inside my goat, episode ;)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she thinks she ate some local lettuce...and it was in there. *shudder*

HAHAHAHA!! I think the only people who would watch would be us! lol

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
eewwww!! my friend somehow got an amoeba in her stomach when she was pregnant. she was looking for worming meds that wasn't contra-indicative to her pregnancy. I didn't have goats then, so I couldn't help... haha
:eek: EEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!! I didn't know that was possible! :sick: Y'all have done a very good job of grossing me out for the week! Yuk! :sick:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts