Nadine's Breeding Adventures

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by tremayne, Oct 11, 2008.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    My daughter's Alpine doe, Nadine, has gone to the breeder twice now. We tracked down a breeder (Patty) and even she's concentrating on breeding Oberhaslis now, she still has a small herd of Alpines. Nadine was actually born on that farm and when we delivered her for her first big adventure, we got to meet Nadine's mom (Natalya). I was thrilled to see how healthy her mom looks. Natalya 's 10 and was 8 when Nadine was born. She successfully kidded this last spring.

Patty had two Alpine bucks, one very closely related to Nadine and one not related at all. My daughter chose the younger buck, the one not related to Nadine. He's a yearling, all wild-haired and "enthusiastic". He thought Nadine was the most beautiful doe he'd ever seen, :love: well, at least the most beautiful doe he'd seen since the last doe he'd seen. :roll:

We looked over the goats, said our goodbyes to Nadine and left. We must have been too late in getting her there, because she wanted nothing to do with that wild-haired buck. We picked her up a couple of days later and planned on returning her earlier in her heat cycle the next time. That time rolled around and Nadine missed the Fresno Fair because she was back at Patty's with that wild boy again. According to Patty, Nadine cries when my daughter leaves her. She's a very spoiled goat.

Patty's reasonably sure things worked out better this time and now we get to play the waiting game. This is all still new to us. My daughter's Boer doe was pregnant when she bought her and we had to guess due dates. If Nadine has settled this time, we can get a pretty good ideas of when to expect babies.

So, when (and how) can we figure out if she's actually bred? My daughter says that Nadine's udders have evened out (one side was bigger than the other). Not sure if that has anything to do with anything. We hope she's settled, but if not, it's back out to Patty's to visit that wild-haired boy again.

Hoping for beautiful Alpine babies. :thumbup:

Anna, aka Tremayne

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Congrats on getting your doe bred! Hopefully! :D She sounds very pretty. . . . you know we all love to see pics! ;)

About 3-4 months into her pregnancy you can see some udder development and her vulva will look more swollen/puffy. I'm guessing you are milking her since you mentioned something about her udder evening out. About three months along you'll want to start drying her off so her body can have time to "revamp" and get ready for the next lactation.

If you would like to know sooner you could always draw blood (a vet or someone experienced if you're not sure how to) and send it in to a lab for testing. Here's the website: http://www.biotracking.com/ I think she has to be 30 days along before this test can be done.

Or you could always just wait to see if she comes in heat again. . . . Hope that helps a little!! :D

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Congrats! We look forward to hearing more about her as she gets further along. Next comes the gestations adventures and finally the big one. . . KIDDING adventures. That is the scary one. Best of Luck!

4. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    This is Nadine's first breeding. She was owned as a pet by her previous family and they never took her to be bred. She turned 2 in March. s she's still a young thing.

Her udder was lopsided, one teat was longer than the other, but my daughter said it's evened out a bit. I have no idea what that means. I haven't seen Nadine since she came back from the breeder (she lives at the school farm), but I'll see her today and see what I see with a mom's eye.

Nadine has a decent pedigree, as does her wild-haired buck, so maybe we'll get some fine kids. Hopefully doelings, but as long as Nadine and babies are healthy and strong, all will be well.

Here's a pic of Nadine. She's got badly splayed feet in front, but otherwise I think she's a pretty girl.

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing our story.

Anna, aka tremayne

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nadine............is a pretty doe....congrats on the breeding...thanks for sharing with us.... :love: :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup shes pretty ---- hopefully you get some kiddos in 5 months!

As to her udder/teats that happends as they grow and mature. So soon after breeding I wouldnt think that was what made a difference but who knows :shrug: