Nail/Wire warning! PIC

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Guys just a warning to make sure that there is no loose wire or nails or any sharp wood etc in your goat pens! I was out at the barn this morning and everything was fine - went back at lunch time and Whisper had ripped her mouth - like, right through her cheek. Had to take her to the vet and she got 5 stitches and is now on antibiotics for 5 days.

And I didnt even think there was anything in their pens that could hurt them - am still not sure what happened but have re-fastened any loose wire etc ...

LW

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Nail/Wire warning!

thank you for the warning ......I am so sorry the goat got hurt.... :( ....but I'm glad she will be OK.... :wink:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa

Ouch that sucks. Good to hear she will be fine. Just goes to show even if you think you got it nailed down the gaoties will help you find the one you missed

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I tell you it is never ending with goats. You can check and not see anything and they sure will find it.

I sold several of my goats and I received a email from a lady that bought two. She started with "I have been putting off contacting you and not knowing how to tell you this". OK my heart just sank and i started tearing up. Well she said that one of the babies I just sold her had a broken rib and torn muscles in the side where the ribs are. They have no idea how it happened but a neighbor say a dog in the goat pen, well there is NO holes or wounds at all like a dog attacked her. I believe we figured out the only thing that could of happened is she was jumping around and maybe trying to get away from the dog and she fell on her side and fell on a rock or something and broker her rib, so another wards it is never ending trying to keep them safe.

I am glad you got her all fixed up LW.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Yeah well she is quite sad looking and quiet tonight but she ate her food ok. She just stands in her pen and looks at me with those biiiig soulful eyes. Her cheek is quite swollen but it looks a lot neater now with the stitches.

LW

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Awww, I bet she looks just pitiful! It does seem as though no matter how hard we try to keep them safe, the curious boogers still find a way to get hurt! I'm glad that she will be fine......but she will do all possible to make you feel worse than you already do! :hug:

7. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

Oh I am so sorry. Nail and wire seem to grow out of nowhere sometimes!

sweetgoats: I have a miniature dachies, and we were watching my brothers large breed dog. They had gotten along for years. Something set his dog off and he turned to Remmy grabbed him by the neck and just dragged him. Well of course I was shocked when I heard the, but they found no wounds on Remmy. When I got home that night Remmy had swelling up like a ball park frank. I rushed him to the vet, apparently his esophagus was ripped. So I learned the hard way that dogs can do a lot of damage without leaving a mark.

8. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Ouuuch!!! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

It actually looks quite good now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's still quite swollen as you can see - but very neat little stitches =] She is moping around the place and keeps coming to rest her nose on my cheek as if to say "come love on meeeeee"

[​IMG]

she is drooling cud down her face too I guess it just doesnt close her mouth quite so well that side!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    AAAWWW, give her hugs and kisses for me. Really it does not look bad at all. That vet did a wonderful job. Yep you can see it is still swollen, but she will be fine with just a LITTLE more attention, because you can tell she never gets any, right :ROFL:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    awwww.....poor baby.. give her hugs and kisses .... :wink: :hug:

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Very good stitch job and it does look to be doing well. But, of course, with that swelling you're going to have to spoil her. I mean it just screams "see my boo-boo, now spoil me, I might need around the clock attention".
    :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug: :hug: :grouphug: