NAIS, Premise IDs and other red tape

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nigie Girl, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    I am EXTREMELY frustrated right now!!!! :hair:
    this year for a school paper on a topic of choice I wrote about the NAIS (national animal identification system) controversy and how it was starting to become a problem in southern and midwestern states such as OK and TN. So anyway today I was registering for a local fair (i'm from CT) and I read a little blurb at the bottom of the fair form that says exactly "new USDA health requirements mandate that sheep and goats have official ID premise tag or Scrapie certification tag in the animal's ear. The number must be listed on the health certificate".
    I literally blew up. NAIS isn't MANDATORY in CT. And yet a little tiny fair in the middle of the country in CT is making it MANDATORY for 4-Hers and youth 17 and under to put tags in their goats when this isn't even mandatory at the big-e!!!!!!!!
    I don't understand...this is sooooooo frusterating! talk about misleading the public and the exhibitors!!!
    :GAAH:
    I emailed the man who is running the program (one good thing is I personally know him) and I told him that NAIS is only mandatory if the state agrees, votes on it and decides to make it mandatory. NOT if a fairground committee decides to make it so.
    (I haven't heard back from him yet :wink: )

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    from what i hear scrapies tags are manitory and have been (I have never had them) so that part is true -- they are saying they will take the premise ID as well -- very misleading though in its statement

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    those are the requirements for our fair too and it is voluntary in my state....just a requirement for fairs.

4. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    for the big-e at least for the 4-H part, only a health certificate and a read-able tattoo is needed in order to show. I've been to dozens of other local fairs (MANY of them bigger than this fair that i'm talking about) but none of them required scrapie tags or premise IDs.

5. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    and also I was at this same fair last year and we didn't need tags or premise IDs. Actually....almost all of the goats did not have these.

6. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    I was looking on the CT Agricultural website and I found the 2008 fair requirements form:
    http://www.ct.gov/doag/lib/doag/pdf/200 ... ements.pdf
    I found that for in-state animals, a scrapie tag or premise ID is NOT required. It says that for out-of-state animals, "official USDA identification" is required.
    Do you think that's enough proof to show to the fair manager?

7. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Im not sure but you can try it.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is really frustrating! I feel so bad for the people that have to deal with NAIS!!

I am so lucky! Our fair doesn't require, papers, tags, tattoos, purebreds, just no identification whatsoever. You can show your unregistered goats and everything....AND get prizes and money! I think that's why I have so much fun, I don't have to be stressed about all that stuff. Just give your goats name, age, and your name, age, pay $5 per goat, and you're off to the fair! Oh, btw, this is Central WA state fair.

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I don't think that has anything to do with NAIS....I don't think. At our fair we gotta fill out a little scrapie card. If your goats are registered then all you need is a copy of their reg. papers and where it asks for the animal scrapie ID just put their tattooes. We have a premise ID....it's Mom's tattoo number with OH in front of it. From my understanding of what you posted....it's not NAIS....it's for the Scrapies Database. Now if your goats are unregistered...they either need a tag or you need to get a premise ID and put that in their ear.

10. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    there are rumours that when you apply for a scrapie's tag you are registered for a premise ID with the USDA

11. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Im not sue how it works but I have both. I think that if you are registered for a premise id, they send you a card with your number on it. They did to me anyway. My Scrapies tags and my premise Id are different. It is a frustrating thing...hang in there and keep fighting NAIS

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    at my fair
    if you have a registered animal with a proper and visible tattoo that is all that is required
    but if you show grade goats then you have to have a NYS scrapie tag
    but NAIS is not required

good luck
    God Bless

13. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    good news!

yay!!!!! the barn manager called me and said that he was wrong to put the "blurb" under the fair info because he said it only applied to sheep.
    wooo hoooo!!!
    well at least ONE fair solved.
    :cool:

14. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That's great news! :stars:

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's the way it is here in OK, I decided NOT to apply for scrapies tag's once I read that! I was going to sell my wethers for 4-H but after all that I decided it was easier just to put them in the freezer.

16. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    And unfortunately that's the way a lot of people are going to see it.. It's a shame nice goats aren't going to get shown and 4-h kids are going to have less of a selection just because the gov wants to be over controlling.. In my opinion a registration and health certificate should be plenty..

I, for one, will not be signing up for any scrapies or premise IDs or anything like them.. If that means I won't be able to show my kinders then so be it.. The only reason I even thought about showing anyway was to get them seen by the general public and teach people about them.. I hope our fair doesn't require any of that, because it would be a shame for me to have to cut that part out..

17. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I am trying to go to a show out of state (in TN)...and the TN State Vet's office informed me that we MUST have a USDA Scrapie premise ID to attend.

This is sad!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is wonderful.... Nigie Girl.... :leap:

I am sorry to hear that... helmstead... :(

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Premise ID and Scrapie ID are two different things. Scrapie ID is a Tattoo, plastic ear tag, or a microchip. Premise ID is the "voluntary" government ID for your Farm.

20. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Okay let me rephrase - they require we be part of the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program and have a "herd ID" registered with the USDA. Not the NAIS voluntary premise ID, the USDA voluntary herd ID...

Not so voluntary if you MUST have it to show, is it?