NAIS

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Nupine, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Yes I think it is a great idea!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No I think it is terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Do you like the idea of NAIS [National Animal Identification System] or not? Everyone has their own opinion.

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    It's hard to be totally against it or totally for it. I understand the need to trace back diseases, but their method hurts the small farmer.

3. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I am completely against it. I agree with Julie; it is important to be able to trace disease. But when they came up with this plan, did they ever even consider the farmers and the costs from this that will burden them? I think not. And what about kids like me? I absolutely LOVE showing my goats; it is just about my favorite thing to do. But if I have to pay an enormous amount of money for equipment to identify my animals, and then have paper after paper to fill out before I even leave my farm, I am not going to be able to do that much longer. And that just makes me really, really sad.
    Not to mention the fact that NAIS is violating an enormous amount of our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS....
    Unfortuntately our premises is registered. We have to have a number to be able to show. And I can feel that the grip on us is going to get tighter and tighter. It just makes me really mad. And dissapointed that our great country is capable of doing this.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK. Now I am TOTALLY against NAIS. There are lots of other ways of tracking the animals and the spread of disease. But if you are here in the State of Colorado you HAVE to have Scrape tags. All your goats have to be tagged. It use to be that wethers did not because they are not breeding animals, but now any wether of the age of 18 months has to be tagged. The reason for this is IF a goat comes down with scrapies, they will be able to track it back to the original herd. That is why it is SO important to always keep the scrapie tag numbers and keep a IMMACULATE record of them. If you buy a goat and that goat has the tag number from that farm it came from, and lets say it breaks (which it does a lot, or it rips out of the ear), then you make sure you keep the number from the tag in a log. Lets say you re tag with your tag number and that goat comes down with scrapies, you better be able to show what farm that goat came from, other wise your whole herd will be put down. That is what the tagging is for, to show where the original farm the animals came from and where the scrapies would of originated from. Other wise all the goats (sheep) will be put down that are around you. (OK, I know that the registered goats do not have to have the scrapie tags, the tattoo will do the trick).
    AS for the Premises ID. I am totally for it. OK, let me explain why. Last year in Southern Colorado we got hit wit ha snow storm that SHUT DOWN the whole place foe weeks and weeks. We had farmers that could not get to their animals at all, just could not happen. Well, because the state had the premises registered in their data base, they knew what areas had cow, horses and so on. They took a helicopter and dropped hay to those animals. (the hay was donated as was the helicopter and time) The people that did not have their property registered that had live stock, did not get hay dropped and guess what, they lost most the whole herds that they had. Now they said that this was never the intention of the premises registration, but it was a good thing that they did have it.
    The real reason for the premises registration is so if lets say a farm down the street form you raises cows, and they had a bunch of cattle come down with mad cow, then they can warn anyone in the area about it. Same with West Nile. I know of a area that lost about 15 horse to it and died, so they warned everyone around that had their premises registered that are in( I do not know what the radias was) about it, so they gave everyone the info so they can either more the horses or give them the shot.
    Neither of these cost me a dime to do. They gave me the tags for free, they gave me 200, and that works for me because now I can use those tags and I do not have to go buy more for shows, and they give the tagger.
    Now if they go to the NAIS, I will have another opinion on that.