The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_1471.jpg
IMG_1472.jpg
So today was my first day running my own fecals! I am starting to get the hang of it I think! I ran fecals on 4 of our goats (got kind of carried away lol, it took me 4 hours!!)

The first fecal i ran i kept thinking oval shaped coccidia were strongylid eggs, that was until I saw what i believe was a true strongyle, then I could see a distinct difference in size and structure.

I have 2 pictures labeled with what I think the parasite is. Let me know if you think I'm right.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
View attachment 171047 View attachment 171049 So today was my first day running my own fecals! I am starting to get the hang of it I think! I ran fecals on 4 of our goats (got kind of carried away lol, it took me 4 hours!!)

The first fecal i ran i kept thinking oval shaped coccidia were strongylid eggs, that was until I saw what i believe was a true strongyle, then I could see a distinct difference in size and structure.

I have 2 pictures labeled with what I think the parasite is. Let me know if you think I'm right.
I'm definitely not an expert on parasites, they just creep me out.
:hide:
But, it sounds like you know what your doing! Congratulations on doing your own goat's fecal tests! I'm sure that will come in handy sometime! :)

Also, I've never heard of a strongylid. Is that a new parasite, or have I been missing out on common/irregular types of parasites?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm definitely not an expert on parasites, they just creep me out.
:hide:
But, it sounds like you know what your doing! Congratulations on doing your own goat's fecal tests! I'm sure that will come in handy sometime! :)

Also, I've never heard of a strongylid. Is that a new parasite, or have I been missing out on common/irregular types of parasites?
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to have this valuable tool at my disposal!

I believe strongylids are just a larger classification of a family of worms that includes haemonchus contortus (barberpole), and other types of strongyles that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to have this valuable tool at my disposal!

I believe strongylids are just a larger classification of a family of worms that includes haemonchus contortus (barberpole), and other types of strongyles that I cannot remember off the top of my head.
Thank you! Parasites are interesting...but scary. :hide:
Congratulations again for being able to do all this! It's a very impressive skill! It's awesome that you can identify them too! I just see circles and dots..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts