The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this girls yesterday evening :)

The lady who had them bought them thinking they would be great city pets! They tied them out in there tiny yard 24/7 had no shelter but the trees. I am amazed they hadn't been attacked by dogs.

I felt bad for them, they needed to be goats not lawn mowers all the time. I talked her down to $100 and now they have room to run and play, and eat. In a few weeks I will put them in with my other does so they can have more friends.

But I am interested on what breed they are.. I am pretty sure dairy due to their build. I was told they are around 1 year old.

Posting a pic give me a min.

I have tired to upload pics several times.. an they won't upload ): any one have any advise?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried to upload several pictures an can't.. maybe some one who knows their dairy goats well would be ok with me emailing pics to you ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peggy, How do I get them from Photo bucket to here ? I have them on photo bucket..

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Looks like a nice young Alpine to me. Her color would be described as cou blanc, or possibly cou clair if the forequarters are more off white than a true white. She looks pretty young in her face, she is most likely around a year old, possibly under a year.

The second doe looks like a Nubian/Swiss cross to me. She looks like she is under a year old.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Her hind quarters are white,.. she is dirty. I was told she is right at 1 year. They produce a lot of milk don't they ?

Also is she at a good weight? She looks really thin to me, I know Dairy are thin.

I have had Nubians in the past.. never heard of Swiss I guess I will do some research :)

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
Swiss is any swiss breed Saanen, Toggenburg, Alpine.

The second looks Boer/Alpine to me.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had thought she looked like she had some boer in her too.. We used to have a couple dairy/boer cross.. She is a lot thicker then the other.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

They won't be bred till fall... :)

I am just glad they are at least with some one who knows about goats, although I don't know much about dairy.

I am hoping to put weight on them both especially Oreo, the blonde one looks alright in weight but I wish I could put more on her.

·
2,203 Posts
Man I really think the Alpine is a Pygmy or Nigi cross. She just doesn't have the build like a FB Alpine.

The second one I almost think is a Nub x Boer x Nigi mix of some sort.

I would say both are backyard goats, but cute and a great buy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts