naming babies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    how do you name your babies-- do you have a theme for the year, for each doe, just pick what you think is cute at the time...

we just started having babies this year so far one little girl- her moms name was Aja so we named her Abbye useing the A to keep track of who's babies who's so all Aja babies would have A names was the thought.. but my next doe that is due I got from a friend and she is 5 yrs old and her name is Nanny-- and she will most likely have twins or more and I can not find N names I like-except Noah so I thought maybe I will name all this years babies could start with A then next year B and so on

how do you do it

Donna B

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have tried theme in the past but never really stuck to them ...........this year I plan to!

the Nigerians will have a music theme. The Pygmies will have a spice theme.

I just searched music terms and found sites and I picked names I liked. I did the same with spices.

Some N names via spices:

Nettle
    Noni

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We name ours after they earn their personalities. This year my daughter wanted to name one Gracie Lou, so we ended with the ols Southern names. Gracie Lou, Tucker Joe, Dasie Mae, LilliAnn, Anna Belle.
    It is so much fun naming babies. :dance:

4. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    My names just randomly pop up in my head one day. I had a doe just get sold who didnt have a name until 6 weeks old, then just one day, Moose popped into my head and that was her name. Almost all of my goats happened that way.

5. goat_farmer_pinki

goat_farmer_pinki New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    East Tennessee
    We always give it a few days and let them name theirselves. We get to know them see how they act and go from there. It just comes to us lol.

Sarah

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    all my babies have "A" names
    but i kinda wait til after they're born and check them out then name them
    my daughter named Clover, which is obviously not an A name
    so i put Asha in front of it
    but once upon a time i had twin nigerians does named Daisy Mae and Maisy Dae

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Usually I wait til they have some personality...or if they're reserved kids I wait for the owners to visit and name them...this year though, I started with a "gemstone" theme for the doelings...Aggie..short for Agate(and Agouti pattern!) Nugget...black as a coal nugget)...and then came Gem, Ruby, Jade..and GOLDie.....which they all changed with ownership to in order of the list...Cricket, Lily,Lily,Delilah,LilyBelle. Turns out ALOT of Lillies in the bunch....The boys well, I have Teddy named for my boss and his brothers..I named Slick because he was so shiny black and the other was named Thumper by his young owner...so even when I "try" a theme it goes out of whack!

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sometimes names are hard to come up with, especially when their little characters havent shown up yet!
    One of my does (Miss Behavin) has either song titles or a play on Miss--such as TNP (TarzNPipes) Miss Demeanor.
    Miss B's sister is Mystify so all her girls have a Mys in front of their name as well as with all..the bucks initials.
    So this yr we have TTH (Two Timin Hustler) Lil Skugirl, TTH Brikhaus
    as well as a TTH Mys Trixie, TTH Mys Maggie & a TTH Cappy, named after the lines at Capriole Boers.

9. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    My children help pick names for me, after cartoon characters.
    Last year we had Lilo & Stitch.
    This we have Max, Ruby & Louise
    Shaggy & Scooby-doo
    and I named Shooting Star after her momma Starlight because I saw a shooting star the night she was born.

Pygmies also have a letter for each year, so last year was x, so I actally registered them as Xquisite Lilo & Xany Stitch.
    This year is Y, so I am thinking of using incorrectly spelled adjectives like Ynsightful Louise, Ynquisitive Ruby and Ynstinctive Max.
    Starting witht the years x, y (and z next year) hasn't been easy to work with.

10. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I only have Brandy4/04, who came with the name so I added Jean to it now she is Brandy Jean, then in 4/06 she had twins, Fern and Forest, My daughter had been reading, Charlotte's web that is how we got Fern, I wanted another F name an picked Forest, although we no longer have him.
    This year I had all intentions on selling the kids with no names, but how can I do that ever critter needs a name (right :? ) so the kids r Dorkfish (do to the parrot mouth) Whisper & Drama.

Some N name sites ..Good Luck

http://www.dictionary.net/n.htm

http://www.baby-names-and-stuff.com/baby-names/alpha.asp?letter=N

http://www.iloveindia.com/babynames/girl-n.html

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I was going to have a music theme for this year(like naming them after song names) but since I had mostly boys, that didn't work out :lol: I ended up naming them by the letter of the mom's name, like Muriel had a little girl who I name Mia, and Joni had a little girl I named Jane Doe(that is a song btw :) )

12. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I am going to make this easy and do A names this year.... I should have put more thought in to before we had of first baby...

thank you for your great ideas

Donna B

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I name my kids after their dams, each dam has a theme. Bikini's kids are all tropical (ex:calypso), Zephyr's are z names (ex:Zane), Karlee's are norse and greek gods and goddesses(ex: Athena), katmai's are alaska names(ex:Kobuk), goat heads, well..whatever i come up with!

14. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    My theme this year was jeeps but I named one after a nissan because i ran out of jeep names

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Last year I had mostly minis that began with L names, this year I have one doe that was out of Kadisha, so I named her Kadalily. And my doe that I still need to bring home is named "Cha-Cha". Only because the lady I got her from wanted to stick with a dancing/theatre type theme. Hopefully she doesn't decide to "Cha-Cha" when she first goes on the milk stand :ROFL: . I think with Cadalily i'll go with flower names for her future doe kids.