naming themes

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Mar 29, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am trying to come up with some themes but I am not good with this sort of thing.

Do you have any themes you have used in the past or have thought of that you wouldn't mind sharing?

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Well, i've mainly gone with "L" and "D" names in the past-but I think i'm going with the food theme with what ever does Scrumptious has. I'm thinking of naming one "Simply Irresistable" or "Simlply Delightful" or maybe even "Simply Delectable". So, I suppose i'm sticking with the S for a name so far-but I am chaning it up some. As for Kadisha, i'm sticking with "K" names and naming her doe-if she has one- Kadalily, Ki-Ki, or Kadbury. My folks usually put the initials of the dam and sire before each kids name so they can remember who the kid is out of without having to look at registration papers. Of course on the above names I wrote i'd probably only call them by the last word in their name.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We kind of have a royal theme going. The goats are Lady, Princess and Prince. The Dogs are Duke and Duchess. We will probably name any kids using the does names first. So we would end up with Lady So-n-so or Princess So-n-so for doelings. Bucklings will probably be Prince Something or other.

4. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    movies

tv

food

spices

flowers

bible

historical time

indian

Last year I went down the aplphabet with every kid so my first babies born were AJ, Butten, and Carmen.

just some ideas... :)

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    my first doe was named cocoa so every one in that line is named after some kind of chochlot. there is hershey kiss & her daughter is snickers & her daughter is kit kat. there was also godiva,swiss miss choc chip oreo i also hava a purbreed doe that i bought & every one in her line names start with the letter K her name is karma & her off spring are kandy kiss kelly girl,irish kream,kayla & kando

i have a friend that hers are named after songs

6. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I think I will go with a tree/plant theme for my goats since I am starting with Maple. My chickens always have old classic grandma names (Clementine, Camilla, Cordelia, Corneila, Elenor, Penelope, Amelia).

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am doing makes and models of vehicles.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We have several different naming themes. It all depends on what the dam and sire's name is.

Flicka's kids will almost always start with F. Her dam line is an F line....there is now Flicka, Faylin, Faith, Fancy, and Fashion Bug(I think). Her sister is Fallon. Or if I don't do an F name...it will be a horse name like Ruffian, Rags to Riches, ect.

My new doe that I will hopefully be getting, Just Fooled You, will have a different theme. I will try to have cute little sayings like that for her kids names.

Libby's kids will have L names. Her kids are Lark and Lexi. Lark will start a bird name line for me. Meadow Lark will be her reg. name. Her kids could be Robin, Raven, Wren, Finch, Chickadee, Swan, Prairie Falcon, Snow Bird, ect.

Bella's kids will have B names. Brooklyn is starting a city name line. Like Paris(that is the only one I have thought of...I haven't look any more).

Cass' kids will have CS after our herd name. So Lark's reg. name will be Dover Farms CS Meadow Lark. Brook's reg. name will be Seigneur Farms CS Brooklyn.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We never really go with a theme. We wait until they get a little personality before we can pick a name that suites them.
    This year we are only naming the goats we are keeping because we do not want to get attached to them.
    This years names.
    Tucker Jo.
    Daisey May
    Gracie Lou
    Anna Belle
    Penelope ( just fell in love with this name and I just had to use it, but now we might not keep her :tears: )

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Lori I did that with my doe Daisy. I was doing a flower theme and well i LOVE Daisies so I was keeping her and named her Daisy..............yup I sold her :(

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I seem to use a different theme for each group of animals. All my goats have country music stars names( faith, mcgraw, reba, gretchen, trace and the rest) My horses have a Patriotic names( Freedom, Liberty and Star Spangled, not sure what new foal will be) my rabbits are all mostly named to somehow relate to my Fave football team, Baltimore ravens. My dogs I usally use mytholagy names( thor, apollo) So I think you are only limited by your imagination.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am just not good with coming up with a theme. Once I do I can come up with names fine.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

my themes were sort of started for me, harmony (my first alpine) was given to me, and from there i went into music names. We have had (from harmony and harmony offspring) symphony tempo tango lyric solo melody trill rhythm and seranade (sera for short)
    Callys registered name is calomel which is a mineral. We now have cyprine and cinnamonstone. I have also sinse purchased callys sister chromite and will continue the theme with her. JuJu i have named her one doe kid tilleyite, tilly for short, im going to continue to name that line after T gemstones. Rubys kids will be my A gem line, sinse there anrt many r ones. there are tons that start with A. Dixies kids will all have d names. and i have two does who are from the music line.
    beth

14. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    You could use city and town names from the state you live in.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I usually have a thing with naming all my animals after gods and goddesses.

BUT, I have also started putting the initial of the sire in their name, so that I know who sired who - LOL!