The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night her ligs were gone. I stayed up allllll night with her. She wouldn't let me leave. About 330am she got uncomfortable and by 5 she was continent up and down. 630 the string of goo appear then a water sac and pushing at 8 with no head appearing I checked her, baby was there, but sideways! 818 I helped her deliver a little boer buck yup daddy was a boer! (sideways) however, he's premmie! Maybe 2lbs at most. Then 30 minutes later a foot, I went an adjusted it, next push out it came another boy, but he was long gone. :( she looked all over when I took him away. So now I have a premmie baby. I drenched him. He has good color. He cannot stand. His feet are completely soft and he is tiny. I milked mom and he ate an oz. and since I have held him to the teat and he sucks great!!! My wifi is down. Can anyone tell me what else I can do for him. He looks pretty good otherwise. And how in the world did this happen!!!!! ive had her 2.5 months on minerals cdt been dewormed etc....what happened I NEVER expected this, and she was huge! .I can get email [email protected] and will post pics of him when my wifi works.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also had to sling surviving baby as he aspirated fluid, nearly drowned. Guess im now a goat midwife. Ugh. So it's been very stressful. Nana is great about me handling him, and holding him so he can nurse. I also milk some colostrum from her just in case. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
I woud give him nutra dench and Selenuim Vit E gel...Mom too : )
It is hard to say why it happened..too many reasons to choose from....as long as he is nursing well...he should be fine...keep a very close eye on him...being so tiny he can go down very fast if for some reason he stops eating

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did drench them both and hubby is picking up the selenium paste. Now to give her some antibiotics.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh No! So sorry about the little guy that died! I'm glad I'm glad the other is nursing though. Sending thoughts and prayers your way!

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
make sure moms on 5 days of pen G :D...best wishes

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Oh SO sorry to hear about this. I guess we pushed her to birth them too early :( All boys too? Well shucks. I hope your little man survives!! What a sweet guy he will be.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I'm glad that you didn't induce. :(

·
14,615 Posts
The dreaded train wreck. You did great getting him out for sure!
All newborn feet are very very soft, I believe its for protection of uterine wall.
Does he have teeth? If so, he's not a premie but he is small.
We'll help you all we can for sure.
For future reference sometimes it's best to leave dead kids for a few hrs so mama knows they arent viable. Thats the heartbreak of expired kids.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Praying for you :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sorry to hear :( We've just had 2 premie babies and we really needed to assist them in the first couple of days but they've come good. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wifi is back. My little boy is doing okay. He's starting to stand but wobbly yet. I am milking and bottle feeding. And putting him on the teat so he'll know where it will be when he does get going. He's a tough little booger. Nana is okay. She's not eating much, but she is drinking well. She's on antibiotics and has retained some of a second placenta. Which she pasted later that day. I've drench her again, and that seems to help her. I expect both to come out okay. Baby still no teeth, but one is trying to pop thru. He's has yellow super sticky thick poo, that nana can't clean, so I've been on hiney detail too. Thank goodness my other girls have due dates, I don't ever want to be caught off guard again!

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

Attachments

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Oh I'm sorry you and Nana had to go thought that rough birth. But you saved one and that is a great achievement. He is sooooo cute though. If he makes it are you doing to sell him or?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Oh, he is so precious sandhill!!!!! What a sweet little bugger :D Looks just like Nana. I'm glad they are both pulling through. You're doing a great job with them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We would have to sell him. I have no room for boys :( Although he definitely has my heart as he reminds me of my son. He's a naturally polled boer, I know they're becoming more popular, so maybe he can make a herd sire one day. He's most definitely not going in my freezer!! Thanks everyone, it's been a learning experience. But I think everyone is doing pretty good considering..

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doing better this evening, he really perks up after a good feed. How many oz should he be eating. I can normally get him to eat 3 oz. a time. I know his belly isn't big, but how many oz total a day?? Nana started eating again too. Very happy about that. She's a good mom, stands untied for me to milk her, such a good girl.
Adding.... Her ear could be his blanket!! Lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts