The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
It depends on the doe but, yes, usually that is not a problem. I've actually seen my does with triplets paw a kid to get them up and nurse. Usually it's the doeling(s), but not always. Took me a little while to figure out what she was doing, though! :laugh: Keep an eye on them and if one is hollowed out in front of their hip bones, or laying around a lot you need to think about supplementing them.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Usually good up to the first month. Then it depends on the Does milk production. Things like how many freshenings will factor in. Quality/quantity of food she is eating. If you have hay/grain available for the babies (a creep feeder is best to use to keep mamas out) free choice, then by the time they start taking all the milk, they will have already started nibbling and eating the dry foods. This ill ensure they get enough to eat and may even lighten the milk demand on their dam.

·
Banned
984 Posts
Most can just depends on your doe. I had a 80ld doe kid with trips this spring an she raised all three to big weights but she is also alil over half milk goat so Im sure that made a big difference since she is on the smaller side. Just keep an eye on them to make sure everyone is getting enough to eat.

·
Administrator
85,553 Posts
I agree with everyone, it all depends on the Doe , the way she is fed, her milk supply.

Always feel the kids belly's or weigh them to know they are getting enough.
If she has only 1+1 teat structure, you will have to watch closer at the one that gets pushed off, if she has 2+1 or 2+2 teats, and they are working, they may do ok depending on her milk supply, you may have to supplement feed, if she doesn't have enough milk or one kid is not getting enough.
Some breeders will pull one kid, if momma can't feed them all. Use you best judgement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.