The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 3 pregnant goats should i worm them an wat type of worner should i use. One looks like she is gonna drop hers at anytime. What should i do for them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Most people worm right after babies are born,they should have a cdt booster around a month before they kid,sounds like they may be closer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok to tell if the need to be wormed look at that skin under their eye. If it is red or pink you don't need to worm them if it is white or skin color you need to worm them.For your girl who is about to drop make a nice clean space for her clean, fresh water a little hay anything she may need. Oh and I don't know if you know this but goats LOVE! Raisins.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
The best and only REAL way of knowing if they have worms and a problem is doing a fecal float on them.

I do not and have never dewormed a doe after kidding just because they kid. There are a lot of factors in that. If you are in area that there are problems then doing a fecal would be a good idea but when you live in a dry are like where I do there is no need to waste the money on the dewormer because they don't have a problem.

A CDT should be given to mom 2-4 weeks before kidding so the babies get some of the benefits. If you don't hit that window that is ok, it just means the babies will need a 2cc shot at about 3-4 weeks old, then two more to follow every month, so a total of 3, if mom got one in the 2-4 weeks before kidding then they only need 2 shots.

That all said not everyone does the CD&T shots. I personally do, it is for over eaters and helps to prevent them from getting Enterotoxaemia from over eating

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the info yall. I just bought her and i really dnt knw when she is due but she is really heavy an i got two more in the pen with her that i just got that are prego. I put them in a 50x70 pen that has almost knee high kentucky grass that i planted this year they are the 1st to graze it. Ims try the raisen trick cuz im always tryn to get a goats trust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question would it hurt for me to go ahead an give the one thats heavy a cd&t shot cuz idk when she took, i aint brightest on goats but she looks like shed gonna pop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts