Nannies to birth mid to late january

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jarrod & Jody, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    What do they need given now for healthy Kidd’s? I would like a list of what I need to do . They have fresh water hay the best feed and alfalfa pellets vitamin block and about once a week I give them a good dose of medicated vitamins. I’ll post pics in the am of them. What else should I be doing?

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You might consider adding loose minerals. Sometimes they can't get what they need from a block. Their tongues are not rough like a cow tongue.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mineral blocks really don't work for goats because their tongues aren't tough enough to lick the amount they need. They are also usually full of molasses which is just candy. What do you mean by medicated vitamin?

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree on the minerals.
    Everyone does things differently on what they give their does before they kid. But usually if I’m a selenium deficiency area BOSE is given or if they can’t get it selenium and vitamin E gel. The gel you have to give more often then just once. I use Bose so someone else would have to say how they do the gel. Also usually vaccines are given at this time to it passed onto the kids.

dldolan and toth boer goats like this.
  5. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    For sure on the loose minerals like everyone else mentioned. Would love to see pics of your girls. :)

6. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I give the loose minerals once a week , it’s the sweet lixs they call it medicated cause it helps the ramen, or rumin what ever it’s called. I’ll have pics posted tomorrow I forgot to today.

toth boer goats and Dayna like this.
  7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

You need to give non medicated loose minerals, that do NOT have Rumensin in them, so they have it available ALL THE TIME.

Rumensin is a poison for coccidia, it is not to help the rumen. I can see why you would be confused by the name.

Sweetlix also makes a nonmedicated loose mineral mix. That is much better for them, because they can get as much as they need, instead of only a little bit to limit the Rumensin. You can still give the medicated once a week if you are afraid of a cocci infestation. But if you are not facing cocci, then there is no reason to give the medication, it harms, not helps.

8. mariarose

Now is the time to give the CD&T vaccination. This is also a good time to vaccinate for pneumonia if you have problems with that, because birthing in winter can open the door to that. This is what I use
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4150957a-be0f-4f9b-a6a4-cbe198064fd4 But there are others.

Getting a tube of Replamin and giving 5ml for 5 days and then 5ml every week would be an excellent decision, I feel. Here is what it looks like. You can order it from PBS Animal Health, and Jeffers.
    https://www.jefferspet.com/products/replamin-gel-plus

toth boer goats and TCOLVIN like this.
  9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    All great advise. It’s what I try to follow. I am a winter “birtha ” also.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  10. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Here are my girls, the last one the black one , has triplets every time.

Attached Files:

alicejane and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    This is my our billy Blu

Attached Files:

Goat_Scout and toth boer goats like this.
  12. mariarose

Thanks for the pics, @Jarrod & Jody I have to leave now, so I hope others will see them and comment.

13. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Frankly, to me your goats looks pretty healthy so you're doing a lot right! I don't see a lot of coat discoloration or fishtail which would indicate copper issues.

I do agree that they need a non medicated loose mineral. I don't leave ours out daily. I used to but it wasted so much, I give it 3 times a week. I live in a very humid climate though and pretty much it turns into nastiness within a couple hours of putting it out.

I choose to not vaccinate so I cannot comment on that advice. But I suggest doing whats best for your area. In my area, I'm finding it best not to. But again, I live in a weird place with no cold season. So anytime the skin is breached we deal with infections (we got bad vaccination abscesses so eventually I stopped).

I usually dose my pregnant does with selenium and vit E gel, that I get from amazon, if you put the below into the amazon search it'll come right up. Dosing is on the tube.
    Durvet Sheep & Goat Selenium Vitamin E Gel, 80ml

Jarrod & Jody and mariarose like this.
  14. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    You have very nice looking goats! I agree they are shiny and nice full looking tails. It does look to me that some of them their tails curl off to the side and a few have weak pasterns, the pasterns might be because they need their hooves trimmed but with the tails too I don’t think it would hurt to get some of that selenium gel. Selenium deficiency can be very very devastating at kidding time and the gel is a pretty safe way to go on giving selenium. I would order a tube extra and give to the kids after they have nursed

toth boer goats, mariarose and Dayna like this.
  15. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Thank you all yes they do need trimmed and I’ll get the gel

16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You've got an adorable herd. Your black on looks just like my Luna. I'd love to get your buck with my Fleur they'd have some cute kiddos. (she talks a lot so her tongue is out in most pics lol)

Attached Files:

Jarrod & Jody and Dwarf Dad like this.
  17. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    She’s a cutie! Thank you so much! My billy blu is one of my first registered Nubians he and a few young females are the start of our registered Nubian show goats, he comes from a long line of show winners. The photos are my 3 registered Nubian females.

Attached Files:

GoofyGoat likes this.
  18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Gorgeous girls!

Jarrod & Jody likes this.
  19. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I’m hoping for colors we don’t have, I love a rainbow herd but I hope our babies are nothing but healthy.

20. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    What I love about Nubians is the color is always a suprise these two does are twins out 324D2F9C-9584-4A37-8ED5-1409431A4787.jpeg 8195C257-54CF-49E3-A602-969D342BEB09.png of a a solid black nanny , from a white and tan buck.

Stonewall likes this.