The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do they need given now for healthy Kidd’s? I would like a list of what I need to do . They have fresh water hay the best feed and alfalfa pellets vitamin block and about once a week I give them a good dose of medicated vitamins. I’ll post pics in the am of them. What else should I be doing?

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
I agree on the minerals.
Everyone does things differently on what they give their does before they kid. But usually if I’m a selenium deficiency area BOSE is given or if they can’t get it selenium and vitamin E gel. The gel you have to give more often then just once. I use Bose so someone else would have to say how they do the gel. Also usually vaccines are given at this time to it passed onto the kids.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
You need to give non medicated loose minerals, that do NOT have Rumensin in them, so they have it available ALL THE TIME.

Rumensin is a poison for coccidia, it is not to help the rumen. I can see why you would be confused by the name.

Sweetlix also makes a nonmedicated loose mineral mix. That is much better for them, because they can get as much as they need, instead of only a little bit to limit the Rumensin. You can still give the medicated once a week if you are afraid of a cocci infestation. But if you are not facing cocci, then there is no reason to give the medication, it harms, not helps.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
Now is the time to give the CD&T vaccination. This is also a good time to vaccinate for pneumonia if you have problems with that, because birthing in winter can open the door to that. This is what I use
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4150957a-be0f-4f9b-a6a4-cbe198064fd4 But there are others.

Getting a tube of Replamin and giving 5ml for 5 days and then 5ml every week would be an excellent decision, I feel. Here is what it looks like. You can order it from PBS Animal Health, and Jeffers.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/replamin-gel-plus

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are my girls, the last one the black one , has triplets every time.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Frankly, to me your goats looks pretty healthy so you're doing a lot right! I don't see a lot of coat discoloration or fishtail which would indicate copper issues.

I do agree that they need a non medicated loose mineral. I don't leave ours out daily. I used to but it wasted so much, I give it 3 times a week. I live in a very humid climate though and pretty much it turns into nastiness within a couple hours of putting it out.

I choose to not vaccinate so I cannot comment on that advice. But I suggest doing whats best for your area. In my area, I'm finding it best not to. But again, I live in a weird place with no cold season. So anytime the skin is breached we deal with infections (we got bad vaccination abscesses so eventually I stopped).

I usually dose my pregnant does with selenium and vit E gel, that I get from amazon, if you put the below into the amazon search it'll come right up. Dosing is on the tube.
Durvet Sheep & Goat Selenium Vitamin E Gel, 80ml

·
Super Moderator
14,801 Posts
You have very nice looking goats! I agree they are shiny and nice full looking tails. It does look to me that some of them their tails curl off to the side and a few have weak pasterns, the pasterns might be because they need their hooves trimmed but with the tails too I don’t think it would hurt to get some of that selenium gel. Selenium deficiency can be very very devastating at kidding time and the gel is a pretty safe way to go on giving selenium. I would order a tube extra and give to the kids after they have nursed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You've got an adorable herd. Your black on looks just like my Luna. I'd love to get your buck with my Fleur they'd have some cute kiddos. (she talks a lot so her tongue is out in most pics lol)
She's a cutie! Thank you so much! My billy blu is one of my first registered Nubians he and a few young females are the start of our registered Nubian show goats, he comes from a long line of show winners. The photos are my 3 registered Nubian females.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts