Nanny Pygmy Goat Snotty nose? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jantoo1, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jantoo1

jantoo1 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Hi there,

I have a Nanny Pygmy goat who Is an older lady (about 6 years old) and She has a snotty nose on One side. She is eating and up and about. And now on top of that she is in full blown heat.

What antibiotic does she need? How much? How often? What sized needle? Help I am waiting to hear from ya`ll before I go and get help from the feed store.. I need to hear from someone who has goats... PLEASE.. I love that old Girl..

What about the B complex Shot? I can`t seem to find it anywhere here where I live. Can a pill be used? I can buy them, but not the shot type.. I am about fifty miles from any city and I called all those feed stores around here and they do NOT carry it.. Is there an alternative way to give her something to help her?

Should I separate her from everybody else? She hates being separated. All Other goats are fine. But I do have two, 2 week old, babies in the girls pen..

Thanks in advance.. Peace and blessings

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hello and WELCOME!

At 6 she's really not that old and pygmies can live as long as 18 years, as far as the runny nose, if it's clear just keep an eye on her, also take her temp....rectally normal goat temp is between 101 and 103, any higher than 103 then I would suspect an infection. If it's a clear discharge, she is likely just reacting to the changes in weather...and do not separate her , the stress could turn a simple thing into a bad thing.
    B-complex people pills are what I use...2 tabs crushed and dissolved in a bit of water, use a needless syringe to get it into her... or just see if she'll eat them from your hand...mine like them that way.

Any farm store like Tractor Supply will carry 3 cc syringes with 20 gauge needles as well as vaccines and Penicillan.....there are other antibiotics used with goats but I have only ever used penicillan.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    She is probably ok sometimes they get dust in their noses I wouldnt do drugs unless she is running a temp.
    A little Vet Rx in the nostrils, if you dont have that a dab of human vicks or a dab of peppermint oil.
    Pen G is not the drug of choice with respitory you would want Biomycin, LA200 or Nuflor (others I cant think of at the moment) but if temp is normal she doenst need any injections. :wink:

ps and WELCOME!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

No I wouldnt put her on antibiotics.

All mine just had a terrble cold go through them and the snotty noses were TERRIBLE - so thick they could hardly breath it seemed. But I only had to give one goat antibiotics because of her temp.

Its all gonna be alright :hug:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree, take her temp and no need to panic :) She probably jut got some ust in her nose. If she starts coughing a lot rattles when she bresthes or the snot turns yellow or green then she may have an upper respiritory infection.
    beth