The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a nanny that had one kid. Her kid was 2 days old, now about 13-14 days, when we got her. The kid is primarily only feeding on one udder and the other is swollen to about 1/2 a gallon size if not milked every other day. At least that how much I got 2 days ago. I am worried that there is something wrong. I don’t feel any masses or lumps and the milk comes out pretty easy and looks and tastes normal. Is this a common thing or do I need to do something?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Yes it's unfortunate but sometimes single kids learn to only nurse on one half of the udder. (One udder with two halves for future reference!)

If you want to milk her for your own use, then milk her daily. If you don't, then you could attempt taping the favored teat to see if you can teach the kid to nurse both halves. Or, if you have any other young kids, hungry goaty kids you could tie her or put her on a milking stand twice per day and let them nurse that side.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Welcome @Jmuldrow11 to TGS. You've found your way to the very best place to learn about your new animals! We hope you stay.

Reactions: Trollmor

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
WELCOME! Yes, you have all of a sudden got a fine source of good milk as a gift! Take it, taste it, enjoy it!

No, one single kid can not keep up with the production of a good dairy goat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts