nanny with wart like teats, need help

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by poolgoats, Jun 23, 2010.

1. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I'm new here so I hope I posted this in the right spot. My husband and I just recently bought boer goats. One of the nannys has what looks like warts on 2 of her teats. My question is: what could it be and can we treat it? We have clean with soapy water and benidine along with udder cream. Other than this problem she fine, more like a dog follows us around everywhere. She's eating good and running along with the rest. Please help. :whatgoat:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Boers are noted for having "extra teats"...what you are seeing could be what is called a teat spur, meaning that an extra teat tried to form on the main one.

Welcome!

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree with Liz, I have boer/boer mixes and some have teats like what you are describing. IMO not a big deal, not sure if it's a big deal for people who raise show goats? But I've been told it is not a big deal.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Agree with the others. What you describe sounds like small extra teats. Can you get a photo?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also agree with the others...as for show goat breeders ...we do not like them... as they are not showable....but... if you are not going to show... then it is ok.... :wink:

6. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I'm trying to get the photo attached, my computer isn't the fastest lol. they look more like clusters of whatever it is on her teats. Hopefully I'll have that pic on here soon. Thank you all

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    pam: they don't look like that, they're smaller and more clustered together. I'm going go where I can get a better signal and see if I can get this pic on here for you to see. Thanks Pam

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    It is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. Easiest way to treat is to feed her dolomite. You can also put a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt in a gallon of drinking water. The warts will fall off in a few days after the mag deficiency is corrected.

10. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I can't figure out how to change size of picture.

11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
  12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW...I've never seen anything like that before, I hope the suggestion Cross Creek offered works for her.

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It almost looks like it's been sunburnt or something. We have a horse with a pink nose that gets that same looking thing from being sunburnt if you don't keep sunscreen on it.

If you can get a picture of the udder on your doe we would probably be able to help further.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm....yep.. a picture will help... :chin:

poolgoats... you can use Photobucket http://www.photobucket.com to upload pics and then post them ....copy the img code and place directly into the message area of the post .....here is some links that may help you some......

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11490&p=143990&hilit=posting+pictures#p143990

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8887&p=112885&hilit=posting+pictures#p112885

Also ...you can use "Paint" ...search for paint on your windows computer ..click on it....to open... then find the image you want to change in size... click resize ...horizontal and vertical....make sure you save the original picture in another location... just in case....resize @ 75 to 50% at first....you will see the picture changing in size getting smaller....repeat as needed...then try to re-submit it to your post on TGS.... keep trying....if the picture appears small enough... but still is not accepted... then try to resize just a tad... at a time...less than 50%.. you don't want it to small...just get it to where TGS accepts the size... good luck ... :hug:
    If you can't seem to figure it out... then email to me... your picture and I will submit it for you.... :wink:

15. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I hope this picture is okay

Attached Files:

16. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    here's another picture

Attached Files:

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are they painful to her? Any bleeding from the areas at all? At this point I think I would get her secured and gently wash the udder with an antibacterial solution, dry her well and maybe even take a scraping of them to a vet to look at under the microscope to see if theres a actually a virus involved and be able to plan a course of treatment.

18. poolgoats

poolgoats New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Liz- They don't seem painful. We've been cleaning it good the past couple of days. using soapy water to remove dirt, cleaning with benidine, and tonight used sulfur ointment. I thank eveeryone for all you advice. Hopefully we can get her fixed up she's such a sweet goat. we just got her.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is something... I have never seen before... :scratch: ....is it possible... to have a vet take a look at it? :hug:

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt breed her with that condition seems like some kind of warts like you said but it could be cancer or just lesions

I second the vet - its out of my league