NAPgA 2020 Calendars are Here!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Damfino, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Alright, folks! It's the calendar you've all been waiting for! Each year the North American Packgoat Association puts out a calendar to raise packgoat awareness, packgoat appreciation, and much-needed funds to keep public lands open to packgoats. Packgoats have been subject to discrimination in recent years due to the mistaken belief that they pose a disease threat to bighorn sheep. This has been proven untrue, but since we're a small group it's easy for people in power to pick on us in order to show the public they're "doing something" to protect bighorns without ruffling feathers among larger user groups. Long story short... lawyers cost money and fighting these legal battles isn't easy or cheap even when we win, so NAPgA relies on membership dues and fundraisers such as this calendar sale to keep us out on the trails.

The calendar features beautiful, high quality photographs of packgoats taken in a variety of landscapes and settings from all over the US. If you love goats and you love the outdoors, you'll love this calendar! Cost is only $15 with an optional $5 donation to defray postage costs. Calendars can be found at the NAPgA store here: https://www.napga.org/store/

Calendar2020.1.jpg Calendar2020.2.jpg Calendar2020.3.jpg Calendar2020.4.jpg

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Are those Mark Warneke goats I see? It looks like Merciless in one of the pictures.
    Great Calendar though!

5. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm not sure which goat you're looking at. Several of Marc's goats, including Merciless, are featured in January. Every month has goats belonging to a different person. We usually have around 15-20 people submit their five best photos for the contest and I like to make sure nobody gets more than one month to themselves. Those who didn't make it to the top 12 get a smaller-sized photo on the cover or notes page. I try to make sure everyone is included in some way!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  6. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Since I thought I could see Sputnik on at least one photo, I clicked on the link, but ended up at PayPal, which I, suspicious troll, do not use. Is there any chance that I could buy it through you?

PS Is that Finn on top of the home page?

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I so wish I could again hike .....especially with pack goats. Unfortunately my knee will no longer allow it. I guess I'll just have to get the calander and dream of climbing the Maroon Bells again or hiking in the Sandias and up in B.C....

Now that I zoomed in on the picture it was a goat with similar markings...the one looking at a switchback trail or bluff I think. Can't read the text.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    For transactions outside the US, then you would have to use PayPal. And it would cost a lot more to ship as well and I would have to figure that out. Non-US transactions are not very practical for something like this. Sorry.

And yes, that is Finn at the top of NAPgA's website. :)

Treva Brodt, Iluvlilly! and Trollmor like this.
  9. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    You know, having bad knees, bad backs, bad hearts, etc. are all reasons why so many folks are getting packgoats these days. People work hard all their lives, looking forward to the day they can retire and go back to hiking, but the doctor says "No way!"

So they get packgoats to carry the load and they start with short walks and increase to longer ones. Some of the goat packers I know do nothing more than short little easy hikes with a Nigie cross to carry the picnic. It still counts! Goat packers don't all have to be hard-core mountain climbers! One couple that came on our recent week-long packgoat trip to Utah are from Texas and are in their 70's.

There's a rapidly growing packgoat interest in Texas but unfortunately Texas state parks are not goat-friendly. I really hope we can get that changed one day, but we need folks from Texas to lead the charge. I started on the Texas project, but now I've got my own battles here in Colorado and I can't do both. So far no Texans have stepped up to handle their state, but I look forward to the day they do. I love Texas state parks, and I would really love to do some goat packing down there one day!

The goat looking up the switchback is "Zelph" and he belongs to Stephen Barnhill of Idaho. ;)

10. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Well, I got the nigies and my boy Sirius (avitar) who loves to go on walks....
    Maybe you can let me know how to help get things going down here to help y'all. I got a big mouth maybe that'll help LOL ;)

11. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    NAPgA, It is easier for any official to forbid than to allow, he will have less worries. I wish you success in the fight against the system!

I wonder how much it will cost to send the calendar to Rоssia?

Trollmor and GoofyGoat like this.
  12. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    We quit that for this time, then!
    I will read that answer with interest!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Well, I did some poking around on the Texas State Parks website last year and found out they have a regular meeting schedule and you can get on the agenda. I never went so far as to call anyone though. I'm thinking that at the very least, any state park that allows horses ought to also allow goats. If you were interested in taking this on, I could probably steer you to some links and also offer some help with packgoat facts, photos, and videos. Your state has some amazing parks, but not many of them are federal land, so hiking with goats is pretty sketchy down there.

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Let me snoop around and see if I could be helpful. I'll check the state park website and see when and where the meeting you mentioned is. If I could pull it off it would be great to get stuff to make the case for y'all!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  15. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I can assure you, Trollmor, that Paypal works with excellence and integrity. I've never, ever, had a problem with a paypal interaction. Several members here have sent me money for items through paypal. And I've delivered.
    I bought this calendar from @Damfino just last year, through paypal, no problems. The calendar arrived safely and was beautiful last year. I don't know if I can make a purchase this year, but if I can, I'll be confident in using paypal

PS To everyone who's used paypal to buy my goat farm "stuff", if you've had problems getting said "stuff" PLEASE tell me. I want you to be happy.

16. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Thank you for caring, @mariarose, but I AM suspicious, from experience - in other cases. When my ID and integrity are involved, I am very slow at using new technique.

ReNat likes this.
  17. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    My grand daughter bought a goat to pack she is following my example. i got to get one for her.

Trollmor, ReNat and GoofyGoat like this.
  18. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

That's fantastic! What kind did she buy?
    Yes, do get one. I bought 2 for gifts last year and they were so incredibly gorgeous. They came very fast, and well protected/wrapped.

Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  19. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    @ReNat, how about you sending some nice photos with Martin to @Damfino?

20. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Got my NAPgA calendar today. Finn is quite the celebrity :clapping:

Trollmor likes this.