Narcissus Kidded! (problem pg 2)

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 25, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    1 doe 1 buck.

4 hours of labor- went in a pulled a buck with head back, and only one leg forward. then pulled a doe kids who cme breech.
    Narcie had NO milk. :veryangry: so I'm bottle feeding, a breeder friend bought the buck as a market project. (feel bad for him being young- but shes a good goat person and raises lots of kids.)

the doe is having a tough time getting around. but she can stand and walk a bit.

ugh....lots of work. pictures tommorrow.

2. Native87

Native87 New Member

Re: Narcissus Kidded!

Congratulations. Can't wait to see the pics.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

Congratulations on the new babis! Hope her milk comes in soon.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

so a bottle feeding q:

the doe dranks about 1/2 cup, is that good enough? her temp is 101.2. I'm worried about her since she still cant stand. So shes snuggled in a sweater with a blanket on a folding chair with Narcissus laying next to it. I've fed her three times and shes taken over 2cups.

5. Mare

Mare New Member

Jan 20, 2010

:kidred: Congrats on the new bady. Hope all goes well and she starts moving around soon on her own. Send pic's when you get a chance!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

do you have any selenium gel or BoSe?

I would continue to feed her as she wants -- 2 cups is 16oz so thats not a bad amount for the first few hours.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Maybe BoSe or Nutri-Drench would help?

Congrats on the new additions. I hope Narcie's milk comes in soon. :hug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I had one that had a little trouble, but she is fine now. I gave her 24 hours and all is well. I believe the problem was they were so big and not enough room in mom.

Congratulations on the babies, quick thinking to pull the babies.

As for the milk, are you giving mom Molasses water? Let her have as much as she would like. That really helps. I use about a 1/2 cup of molasses to a bucket of very warm water, (remember they can have water a lot hotter then we can, their body temp is higher then ours). I am trying to think how big the bucket it, It is not real large. Just make the molasses pretty strong, like a very dark tea.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh man that is tough....did you give any colostrum?

Everyone has great advice... :wink: :greengrin:

You say.. she has no milk? Not even a teaspoon?

Oxytocin will help drop her milk and by stimulating her udder... by bumping and milking what you can get out ...helps bring down that milk....better yet......get the kid to suckle her....even if she gets just a little at a time...if it isn't to late.... it may take a while ...but eventually ....she should start producing more each time.... you can keep bottle feeding plus... take the kid to mom ....she may be able to feed her kid....and you won't have to bottle feed for long.... stimulation and Oxytocin will help.... I pray.. it isn't to late and the doe doesn't reject the kid(s) :hug: :pray:

If the kid is strong enough... to be with mom...and she excepts her...I would leave her with mom....and supplement bottle feed ....until the doe gets her milk in..... and at the same time ...the baby nurses and helps with stimulation... :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

the baby is still with narcie. she does a good job licking, and encouraging. (I dont think she could handle both babies leaving, though she didnt seem to notice when the buck left) and the baby has a "safe sot" where she has a light. I've been stimulating the udder, and rubbed some mint udder rub on it. I'll see if I can get oxytocin.

and yup, no milk at all. I gave her colostrum replacer (i hated doing it, but shes doing good now) and I have a gallon of goats milk coming this afternoon. I also had a kid who couldnt stand, after two days she picked it up, that was calypso. :)

thanks everyone, I'll get some pictures- last night I went and got a dog sweater (adorable!)

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome Katrina....

does she look bagged up or like she never formed one.....

Sorry your doe didn't have colostrum..... :( that is such a bummer.... :hug: At least you got colostrum replacer into her ...it is alot better than nothing.... keep up the good work on mom....and baby ...I hope... you can get oxytocin, but I think there is a window ...that you can do that in..... If not.... keep doing what your doing... to stimulate her udder.... she should start producing some soon... for you... I am glad she is being a good momma ... feed her real good quality hay...Alfalfa would be best.... and give her grain...
    Love to see pics.... :hug:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

her udder is formed and does look bigger than yesterday. went ahead and shaved it (long and shaggy). I'm going to get a bale of Alfalfa (cha-ching) and call some breeders about the tocin.

baby is doing well, drank 2 cups this morning. didnt go to school...must take care of my goats ;)
    still not walking, but she can stand, its just the back feet giving her a hassle now.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Just curious...Is her udder OK ...no mastitis right?

I know about the...(cha-ching).. :shocked: but the Alfalfa... will help her more...

So happy the baby is doing well..... :greengrin:

That is the best excuse any caring and beautiful person can do.....to save a precious life.... I commend you highly Katrina.... :thumbup: :thumb:

Is her back legs bending back... the wrong way?...if so... in the mean time of waiting for the Bo-Se to kick in....if her ligaments are to stretched and weak...I make up a make shift brace ...so she can allow the ligs to tighten faster........ Also I give nutra drench 1x a day... until they get there strength back... Good luck..... :hug:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yes, her udder is normal, just dry. no temp.

yeah her backs are bending the wrong way- but she can stand for awhile now. yay!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

That is good.. that her udder is OK.... just wanted to make sure.... :wink: :hug:

The baby should be OK........ :greengrin: Keep up the good work.... :hi5: :clap: :thumbup: :thumb:

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

congrats on those baies! eww rear legs bending backward not a purdy sight. Did you give him any BoSe?
    Mom not having milk now that one is a puzzle for sure. Never heard of it..Any clues? (when you get the time)

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yeah eww dont do that!!! lol
    shes got a handle on standing now, and even took a few steps, saw the mom and tried jumping to her, instead just tipped herself and cried, mom came rushing over to comfort. :) she knows what shes doing!

Narcie actually has a filled udder!!!! I went to start milking and her teats are no good :( one big, bulbos teat and two little limp teats :hair:

soooo....I rubbed some vicks on her udder to relieve some pressure and help break things up. I dont think she has mastitis, no temp and the udder isnt hot. but shes on penG already since i went way in to get the kids.

well baby is hungry.... :sleeping: LOL

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Narcissus Kidded! (Problem?)

Hi again
    just got back from feeding (she can now stand on her own and get herself up!) Narcie was standing off in the corner watching and grunting when baby makes a noise. I had left the door to the stall unlocked and another doe (due friday!) walked in to see of the food was any better over here (which, it is actually). and Narcie stood there, she usually fights the other doe to back out of her pen. I thought this was odd, so I took her temp and its 104.9F !?! A little panicked i suppose, thats too high.

Shes already on penG because I almost went in to my elbow. so 4cc or penG everyday for 5 days already. but shes only one her second day....shes still passing afterbirth and looks a little uncomfortable. :worried:

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    any thoughts please?

I wont be able to do anything until 2pm when I get back from School. but I'm giving penG now.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are you getting any milk out yet? If so....what does it look like?

If you can milk her out.... that would relieve pressure... Did you remove the plug from the end of the teats orifice...? Some take a while.. to get it out...and you have to work at it longer... Has the baby tried to suckle her.. at all.......
    Get some and test for mastitis anyway.... because of her temp...

Congested Udder .... pops in my head to....

Her afterbirth is still hanging out? with a retained placenta.... usually a small injection of oxytocin... within the normal timeframe... will get it lose.... some have used... Lutalyse.......if oxytocin doesn't do it..
    Consult the vet to make sure... what should be used at this point...
    This is a stupid question but.. did you make sure ...there were no more kids in there or a partially dissolved body? I know better , but I needed to ask...

If She has an infection inside..... a vet can possibly do a flush ...and clean out some of the yuck....

It is high.... Doesn't sound like PenG... is doing anything for her... for high fevers and no appetite we use... Nuflor and Banimine together? Supplied by the vet....

At this point... it could be from ...the retain placenta ...or mastitis.... both can give a higher temp... As Milk fever ...does not give a doe a fever....

I would maybe talk to a vet.... :hug: