Nasal Bots/Bot flies

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by artzkat, Dec 5, 2020.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I found what looks like a Bot fly bite on my goat's neck (a large crusty swelling with black hole in center) that may be from fly larva leaving..but goat has persistent runny nose, off feed and rubs nose and mouth on wood railing in barn after eating. I am thinking she may have a bot leaving her nose as well. I just gave her an oral dose of Ivermectin, which I hear usually kills bots. In 15 years of goat owning, never ran into this..anyone have any advice?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you taken her temp?

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    can you post a picture of the bite on her neck? Def. get her temp to rule out more going on. Check her mouth to see if she has something stuck she's trying to rub off. Listen for rumen sound and check her famancha

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  4. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Yes..temp normal...well her usual normal 102.9. The neck "bite" was definitely NOT abscess..familiar with those...did not react to peroxide I put on it... and it was inflamed.. slightly swollen, but has gone down. Eating normally etc. FAMACHA was a little low, so I gave her Ivermectin (orally) since I read that nasal bots can be treated with oral Ivermectin. Today she is not rubbing her nose quite so much although her nose is still a little runny..but no crustyness or sores on her nose. Yes..also checked her mouth...used a syringe with water to flush out her back teeth..no missing front teeth.

happybleats likes this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like you got her bases covered :great:
    . Glad she is looking good other wise. Have you peeked up her nose with a flash light? Won't be able to see too far up but maybe see if there is irritation.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    She could just have fox tail stuck in her nose? But defiantly take a look in her nose.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Any persistance in the fly area? I hope it wasnt a bot fly

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California