Native on Appearance

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 21, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How does this work?
    Our Nubian is full blood but not registered. I don't even know how I would research her parentage since the man I got her from doesn't know where the people he got her from have moved to. Is it done by pictures or does someone ave to physically come here and look her over?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Does she have a scrapies tag in her ear?

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    No scrapies tag. I checked her ears and could not find a tattoo either.

kelebek, that sounds easy enough. Are there specific picture shots I need to get?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Face, body (both sides) and then a rear if you can. Then you find someone who is ADGA member to write you a letter for each animal stating that they think the animal is purebred ---- and then sign. Then you send that in with the registration papers

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    How do you trace using the ear tag? Just curious as I have one that has them.

7. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    If you look at the Scrapies tag there is one number on top and a bigger number underneath that. The bottom number is just the goat number. The top number is the herd ID identifying what herd the goat is from. Your state should have a Scrapies site that you can go to and look up that herd ID. It won't identify the goat or its parents though. It'll only tell you who the herd ID belongs to. Another problem is that if you get a goat that doesn't have the tag in its ear you are supposed to tag it with your own tag. So whoever tagged your goat could have gotten it from someone else and tagged it themselves with THEIR herd ID so that doesn't help you track the parents at all.

8. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    my new Bully does not have tag in ear but is tattoo do I have or need to put tag in his ear?

Mindy

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no the tatoo should be fine. I dont tag my goats

10. tat2edlady

tat2edlady New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Lexington, NC
    glad to hear that I did not have to tag new babys that may or may not be born here going to buy a tattoo gun/stamp for them soon.

Mindy

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    If you plan to show or raise Nigerian Dwarfs then do not put a tag in its ear. Tattoo them. You can also use microchips but they're a bit pricey to do all kids born.