The Goat Spot Forum banner

Natural herbs

1K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  NigerianDwarfOwner707 
#1 ·
Can yall share what dosage work best for you guys for preventive. LOH parasite formula

I'm currently doing 3 days a week twice a day 12 week old doelings. Planning on going to 3 days a week once a day after this week. To much, to little or just right?? Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

#2 ·
LOH parasite formula has the dosing amounts on the package - as for frequency, once a week is usually the prevention dose, but I personally feel all these herbal wormers work better at a 3 days on 4 days off regimen. When you head into winter you can do once a week, but in a bad parasite season 3 days is what I prefer.

3 days on 4 days off is pretty much the treatment dosage - however for treatment I would double/triple dose 3 times a day, but that’s just me!!

#5 ·
I make a tea and blend with garlic and ginger root. We drench each goat with a specific dose to get their needed amount. Most love it..some tolerate it LOL

#8 ·
Mine will eat it on their feed, even mixed with some kelp in the shelter. But we also make mini peanut butter sandwiches and put their dose on the PB, then they eat it like nothing LOL. THat is the easiest here and their favorite. I still have a couple that get suspicious about them, but most think they need ALL the sandwiches.

We've done herbal balls covered in slippery elm with success too.

#12 ·
That's impressive. I'm sure your parasite regimen has been posted multiple times on this forum, but what is your preventative parasite management? What do you do if you have an acute case of parasites?...low Famacha score and poor manure - which is a problem I seem to have. Also, do these herbals work for external parasites as well? I live in similar conditions to NJ. I could mostly copy your approach and see if it works for my goats and area!

#13 ·
We are central texas..barberpole is a huge issue here as well. I only use herbal and essential oils. If I had to chemically treat i certainly would but the herbs and oils have been successful. I do believe doing wild orange weekly has given us an advantage over BP worm.
Treating naturally does take commitment

#15 ·
We are central texas..barberpole is a huge issue here as well. I only use herbal and essential oils. If I had to chemically treat i certainly would but the herbs and oils have been successful. I do believe doing wild orange weekly has given us an advantage over BP worm.
Treating naturally does take commitment
How long have you been using herbals and essential oils?

#14 ·
I do use toltrazuril as preventive for coccidia in kids along with herbs and oils. Since coccidia does so much damage in a short time .i rather dose with toltrazuril and give babies a good start.

#16 ·
Sorry for all the questions - please understand that I have a steep learning curve and I prefer to take the time and effort to learn as much as I can and avoid making big mistakes. We had lost a doe in February because of poor management and she was two weeks from kidding. I was devasted. My husband was the main caretaker of the goats at the time. We had had goats for about 1.5 years at that point. I helped out, but he was the main person caring for them. After that loss, I decided to change some priorities and they are my main concern on a daily basis. My daughter and I care for all the goats. Since we took over, they have improved a lot. Our one black doe looked pretty awful -- she is our dry goat. Her fur/coat was matted, full of dandruff, mostly brown, etc... She looked pretty terrible. Now, her coat shines black in the sun. It's smooth, shiny, and she's gained weight. She looks night and day from February. My husband felt bad about the goats, and is relieved we had taken over.

#19 ·
I have a thread on here "using essential oils to worm" that shares my story and what we are doing here.

Reactions: CaramelKittey
#20 ·
I use Fir Meadow LLC’s DWA and GI Soother (together, they each take care of different worms)

Sometimes I do 3 days straight then wait 4 days and sometimes I do every other day it depends on weather (very rainy they get it every day it rains).

They get essential oils of DigestZen, Wild orange, oregano, lemongrass and clove (not for pregnant goats) 3 days on 4 days off when it’s prime worm time but usually they get those all together 1x a week.

Wild orange I usually like to stick to at least twice a week no matter what.

I’ll give lemon EO once a week, and thyme EO once a week as well. On a different day than the group of EOs which is the weekly baseline.

I also give garlic daily and pumpkin seeds daily which I think do a TON to help!!

#21 ·
I use Fir Meadow LLC's DWA and GI Soother (together, they each take care of different worms)

Sometimes I do 3 days straight then wait 4 days and sometimes I do every other day it depends on weather (very rainy they get it every day it rains).

They get essential oils of DigestZen, Wild orange, oregano, lemongrass and clove (not for pregnant goats) 3 days on 4 days off when it's prime worm time but usually they get those all together 1x a week.

Wild orange I usually like to stick to at least twice a week no matter what.

I'll give lemon EO once a week, and thyme EO once a week as well. On a different day than the group of EOs which is the weekly baseline.

I also give garlic daily and pumpkin seeds daily which I think do a TON to help!!
Do you use Land of Havilah? Also, I looked at the Fir Meadow's website, and is this the DWA you were referring to?
https://www.firmeadowllc.com/store/p918/THREE_DWA(tm)_herb_mix_16_oz.html
This seems really expensive for 16 oz. Do you give by the tsp?

#22 ·
I don’t use Land of Havilah’s, I have in the past but I have one goat who is allergic to one of the ingredients in it so I use Fir Meadow LLC instead because of convenience.

Land of Havilah’s is a great formula, I highly recommend it OR Fir Meadow, I feel that they both work well, but Fir Meadow does need slightly more frequent dosing than they tell you!

Herb blends last a while, I usually give 1/4-1/2tsp depending on weight.

My herb bags last me a long time, there are approximately more than 600 doses for a 50lb ish animal.

Land of Havilah’s is slightly more cost affordable mostly based on the fact that it is one formula , whereas from fir Meadow you need to buy DWA and GI Soother and they must be used together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.