Natural Pregnancy Supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Maevecd, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Hello! I have some pregnant does. It is there first time including mine. :) I was wondering if the selenium gels and copper are needed? Or if I can just supplement from other things that naturally contain these things like

Selenium---alfalfa, kelp, slippery elm, raspberry leaves, milk thistle, catnip, black oil sunflower seeds, black strap molasses.

Copper---black strap molasses, hops, sesame, sunflower and other squash seeds, dried basil, oregnano, marjoram, parsley and thyme.

Thoughts? Id rather go natural then injections or oral gels.

Attached Files:

2. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    You can do BOSS and kelp for selenium probably with good luck.

I'd just do a copper bolus for the copper. Check this site out.
    http://www.wormx.info/copper-oxide-wire-particles
    It is supposed to help with certain parasites too.

Are you ok with a loose mineral? Those should have copper as well.

3. nicolemackenzie

Dec 27, 2014
    Sorry didn't look at the image.

I have tried selenium the last couple of years but my 4H leader never used it and the goats looked fine.

So you can do well with proper nutrition.

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Copper and selenium are common mineral deficiencies in goats because the land their food is grown on is mineral deficient. While the plants are still high in whatever mineral if tested, it is because the plant has produced its own minerals. These minerals are not bioavailable to goats.

If I were you, I would get your soil tested and add minerals to it as needed, and then try to grow as much of your goats' food as possible. For now, it would probably be a good idea to supplement copper and selenium or at least monitor them for symptoms of deficiency.

I highly recommend the books Natural Goat Care by Pat Colby and The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable by Juliette de Baïracle Levy. Pat talks a lot about minerals - deficiencies, diseases linked to certain deficiencies, and how to test and add minerals to your soil accordingly. Juliette's book is a lot more outdated (I got my ancient copy off of Amazon from somewhere in Europe - she says something in it about back in the 1940s or some such :lol:) but still full of great information. She is all about plants and how to heal with plants and different specialties of different plants. She also has lists in there about what plants are high in which minerals.

5. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hello there! I love doing things naturally. At this time I do give BoSe (have to) and copper bolus. Our well water is high in iron, which blocks both copper and selenium. We set up a rain barrel so we're hoping that we won't have to give the bolus or the BoSe as often. I did try an herbal selenium and copper supplement for the girls, but it wasn't quite cost effective enough, and from what I remember I don't think it was as strong as we needed.

Fir Meadow Farm does make that mix I tried. I find her herbal dewormers quite effective, so as long as iron in your water isn't blocking the minerals that way it does mine, it may work for you!

6. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    So how do you get bose? Or could i get just a selenium gel from Paris Farmers Union? Ill have to order copper bolus.
    and how often is it given? Before or after? Moms and kids?

7. nicolemackenzie

Dec 27, 2014
    BO-SE is direct from the vet or you can get the oral gels online give it monthly I believe.

8. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Could I get the tube of Selenium Get w/vit e from Paris Farmers Union? Also how much and how often. Goats are 50 lbs.

9. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I get it at TSC. It's probably the same at Paris Farmers Union. So do you live in France?

It's supposedly 4cc for adult goats and 2cc for kids, given monthly. It's measured in 5cc increments. I give minis and kids half of 5cc and standard adults 5cc.

10. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    No USA. Maine. Stetson to be exact. Hahaha so how often for mom and kids on these gels and bolus?

11. nicolemackenzie

Dec 27, 2014
    Hehe that's funny. Yes Paris farmers union could have it. I'd call and see or stop by.

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Okay lol. Never heard of Paris Farmer's Union :p

Selenium/e gel monthly. Copper bolus really depends on how deficient your area is. Nobody agrees with this, but I do it every few weeks. More commonly is to do it 2-4 times a year. Might want to post photos of your does and we can tell you how deficient they are.

13. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Merlot is the dark one. has twins. white is paisley not showing on ultrasound yet. but was successfully bred. Having another ultrasound in 3 weeks. Paisley is about 5 lbs larger than Merlot.

Attached Files:

14. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I also do not want/like to do any injections other than the CDT 4 weeks before kidding. And for the kids after of course. But I would like to do mostly oral gels and natural for the pregnancy.

15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I don't give any shots except b complex when an appetite is off, not even CDT.

They look pretty health to to me, though the pictures are showing up super small. Happy kidding! Do you have any idea when they're due?

16. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Merlot is due Jan 31. Paisley will probably be due Late Feb /Mar.

17. Maevecd

Maevecd New Member

Oct 15, 2016
    So Selenium/E Gel monthly. How much dosage? Then a copper bolus per doe during pregnancy? The 2 or the 4 from Jeffers? SORRY when is the Vit B complex gel?

18. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Vit b complex gel doesn't work. B complex is given as an injection to goats with appetites that are off. For selenium/e, I do 5cc per adult goat and 2.5cc per kid, but you're supposed to give 4cc for adults and 2cc per kids. The tube is only labeled in 5cc increments, so pick your poison :hammer: I would get the larger size of copper bolus. So that would be the 4 gram. If you notice their coats are rough or off color, give them extra.