naturally polled goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Aug 24, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I was hoping someone could provide some clarification about this. My husband has read a few books that suggest that naturally polled bucks should not be used to breed as their kids are often sterile and/or hermaphrodites.

However, from what I am reading online, it seems this tends to occur in some breeds more than others (Saanen for one). I'm also reading that breeding a polled buck is fine so long as he is heterozygous for polled (one of his parents had horns) and so long as he is only bred to does born with horns. I am assuming these are the recommendations in order to avoid a homozygous polled kid (which is when you could have the problem with sterility or gender issues).

So . . . anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Ive had plenty of polled goats- bucks and does- and never had a problem

the only problem comes in when you breed a polled goat to a polled goat, then you run a small risk of producing a hermaphrodite

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ....ProctorHillFarm.....totally correct ... :wink: :greengrin:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep...proctor hit it right on. :thumb:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have red that a lot also. I think maybe they had a single case or maybe a couple and now they have to say that. I am sure you know how things go. Happens once it must happen all the time. (WRONG)

Matter of fact most hermaphrodites I have ever hear if were NOT polled.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard that Polled to polled is bad

but then I read somewhere that this is incorrect information -- like what Lori said. I would like more study to be done on this and hopefully some vet school will do that in the future

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its true that you dont want to breed polled to polled. thats where the hermaphrodites apear. Saanens seem to be the most commen for polled. Not sure why. I tend to stay away from polled goats as i like the look of an animal that has been dehorned better. Polled animals get large bumps on top of their heads, at least in alpines, im not sure about other breeds. I dont mind dehorning and just take it as part of having goats.
    beth

8. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Im willing to experiment? - Now - Bobo- is out of our wodin, but he inherited the polled gene from his mother. Now he bred to Jessie last year, and she had a doe and a buckling. Though Jessie's girl does have horns, was contemplating breeding her to Bax (AN ) Who I think is polled, as Starbux, who is out of my tia doesn't seem to have horns, and I didn't have him disbudded. Gypsy - had the biggest horns, but she doesn't work on the inside. There is another daughter of Bobo, who I can breed to - polled, but it is going to be a year or two, as she is this years kid as well. I am assuming that the kids that I didn't disbud, and are hornles are out of bobo.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Bridget if you do accomplish any polled to polled breedings I would be very interested in the results.

10. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have bred polled to polled and never had a problem...maybe just a matter of time; but have done it numerous times and never had an issue. I just happened to think, when you breed polled sheep to polled sheep,you never have any kind of warnings - wouldn't it be a similar situation.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    martha thats good to know -- I never though of the polled sheep before

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My new little buckling is polled, and all of my does are horned, so this is all very interesting to me. I've heard both the warnings against polled x polled, and I've also heard that its not true.

I prefer horned does, so I don't expect any problems. Hopefully!

13. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    you will be fine - about half of the babies will be naturally polled then. I don't like horns and having polled babies makes it one less thing that has to be done to the poor babies.

14. arin_101

arin_101 New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Question? I have a lamancha/pygmy or Nigerian cross for. She is naturally polled. All the girls on the farm are polled and the boys have horns. Why is that? Will her daughters be polled

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A polled goat bred with a horned goat can produce polled kids and vice versa
    I have a polled doe who only produced horned kids when bred with a horned buck.... when bred with a polled buck she had 2 polled and 1 horned kid and this past freshening bred with a polled buck had 3 polled kids.
    Same polled buck bred to a horned doe had 2 polled and 2 horned kids and each one is a definitive buckling or doeling, no questions on that. :)

16. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    There's a breeder near me who has a "buckling" from an accidental polled to polled breeding. He sorta looks like a buck, but his parts aren't quite right, and he is apparently infertile. Not exactly a hermaphrodite, but similar.
    It may just be coincidence; I know birth defects can show up in horned breedings too. Also, it may only be certain lines that carry the recessive defect linked to the dominant polled gene.

17. The dominant poll trait is closely linked to a trait that conditions recessive hermaphrodite in females.

So in matings between a poll and a horned goat, you will average 50% poll kids and 50% horned kids and no practical chance of hermaphrodites.

In matings between two poll animals both of which are carrying the horned gene, you will average 75% poll and 25% horned progeny. On average you will have half males and half females in each category. Among the females, 25% will appear 'male' and be hermaphrodite polls, 50% will be normal female and polled and 25% will be horned and normal.

Among the males, 25% will be homozygous polled, that is have two copies of the poll gene, 50% will be heterozygous polled (one copy poll and one copy horned gene) and 25% will be horned (two copies of the horned gene).

Of the homozygous poll males, some will be sterile and some fertile. It depends on your line of animals whether they are fertile or not. The fertile ones will produce 100% poll progeny.

18. goatgirl16

goatgirl16 Active Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Ok so I have a question I have doe that had horns but her father was polled her twin brother was polled I am breeding her with a horned male is there a chance I could get a polled baby? Also my bucks brother had blue eyes could there be a chance one of his off springs could have blue eyes?

19. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    Sadly, no to both. :( They are both dominant traits, so can't be carried and hidden.

20. Polled is dominant, so if it is not present in one of the parents, you won't see it in their kid.

Blue eyes are not that straight forward. I think some are inherited as dominants, but at least some are recessive. I had only bown-eyed goats for about 20 years but then brought a new brown-eyed buck in who happend to throw a few blue-eyed kids. So in that case, blue was certainly not a simply inherited dominant trait.