Naughty goats....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 3, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So I have had an 'afternoon' with my goats...heh. I know, we all have days like that, especially with 'kids.'
    First, I have to run errands, come home and find that a couple of goats are out in the woods. I just posted that our buck was sneaking out and even climbed a weak section in the fence yesterday. the green stuff is in the woods...they are like kids in a candy store when we turn them out....
    So...buck is getting adjusted to being in his own pen, BUT he does get his turn out time with the girls to browse <our wooded area isn't completely fenced>.

I know where they were getting out - through the creek. of course they want nothing to do with getting wet, but they are able to push through the barrier we made that looks like a fence...so hubby has to redo it.

I turn them out, while watchng for the schoolbus from the back side of the pen, and next thing I know they are taking off into the area wayyyyyy back behind our neighbors place. Well I don't want them going over there and I don't want them out of the woods. period. Let em do it once and they will always try.
    They gave me a TIME of getting them back over there. It must have taken 15 minutes to get..... 8 goats back where they belong. They were being sooooooooooo naughty and they knew they were! When they act like this, we use a stick, and tap their horns, but they still weren't listening, circling around a downed tree trying to get away from me.

I was.... :angry: I'll admit, but mom showed them who was the 'adult,' and got them where they were supposed to be.

Okay...so I had to vent about my brats. They are normally very good, but the buck has a mind of his own and the girls will glady follow....and the whether I've been venting about that my husband bought for meat....OMG....just when I thought things were quieting down with him....I am ready to pull my hair out again....He's sooooo disrespectful, hard to explain.... but I'm at the point I just can't stand him. I don't like feeling that way, but he disrupts everything, and makes everything difficult.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So sorry! :hug:

I think we all have had days like yours!
    Some of you may frown on me but I will tell you how I get my goats to MOVE! I use a BB gun...it only took a bb to the butt one time for each of my older goats to learn when they need to go where I want them too...wasn't a hard sting, only pumped it twice and now all I have to do is pump it...no bb's in it and Boots, Hank and Angel MOVE like it's pouring down rain on them, the sound brings back the memory. BELIEVE me, I would never intentionally hurt my kids, but this was the quickest way to keep them from going on the road as my yard is not fenced, I'd rather sting them in the backside as opposed to have them really get hurt. And since they know they are "safe" in their shed, they automatically run for cover when they hear that pumping sound....this is only after shaking a feed can to no avail!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What brats........ I can feel your frustration.... :( :hug:

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree Pam, they are being brats today!

Liz - I dont' think that is mean. My dad used to use a bb gun to run animals off his property without hurting them, but enough to give them a sting they wouldn't forget <if they were stupid enough to come back he brought out the rifle -- but they have problems with wild dogs and ferral cats>.
    I might end up getting a bb gun, or something, because when they get back there and start eating, grain isn't going to get their attention.
    I wish we weren't surrounded by horse farms, I'd get one of those loud horn things to scare them in the direction I want them to go in. Thankfully they were well away from the main road. But still they were close to a road that gets a lot of traffic going onto/from a horse farm since it was the end of the work day.

My husband just got home from work a little while ago and went to fix the fence over the creek. We had it blocked up good but now that there is water in it again he took down most of the blockade....he'll get it fixed....hopefully the brats won't sneak out again.

BTW, it's just been one of those days in general. Started out on a good note, and now I am ready to crawl in bed, and sleep the evening away so hopefully nothing drastic will happen! HEHE! As soon as I got home saw the brats out, I came inside to hide a few things I bought for my kids for Christmas, and when I was coming out I saw a MOUSE! URGH! We killed one last night that got trapped in a cabinet!
    I couldn't get this one, so now I have to set a trap, but may not have anymore, so might have to wait until tomorrow. I can't stand having them in the house. This is the time of year that they start coming in though. So I need to stock up on traps.

And just other little things that make it a crazy day.

I hope the evening proves to be quiet....after dinner I think I'll soak it up in the bathtub... ;)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you have a plan...now, make yourself stick to it :hug:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So far so good, and everything is quiet outside.
    I've managed to get dinner done, kitchen cleaned, some laundry done, some house cleaning done, my youngest a bath, hair dried, fixed her hair and painted her nails too <she's 4>. Ready to do another load of laundry, fold some laundry and soak in the tub! I bought one of those big bath gift sets the other day just for me! I'm about to break it open! :)