Naxcel vs Nuflor?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by hprice3920, Jun 11, 2008.

1. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Anyone have any advise on clearing up a respitory infection(I think-ratttling sound). I have used Naxcel several times on this guy and it just wont clear up. I had the Vet give him a Nuflor shot, but I dont know what doseage they gave him and now I'm wondering if he should have had more that one shot? :?
    He is 8 weeks old eats fine no other issues except the rattling sound. The Vet did tell me a few weeks ago that they thought he had a hole in his heart. :cry:
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hole in his heart? :question: How or why does he think that? can he hear something?
    If that was my boy and he thought that I would NOT give him anything unless it is cleared wit the vet. It is like for humans, different meds affect the heart differently.

Does he have a temp? I have had two boys have a upper resp infection and they are the only tow goats that have ever really been sick here. I gave them Tylosen, and they were fine after that.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    the problem with vets is they don't offer much more information unless you ask. So you need to ask.

I would call him up and ask him more about this whole in his heart thing and why he thinks so and tell him that the one shot didn't change his symptoms etc. You have to keep on top of vets or they don't know anything is wrong or you are confused.

I was just at the vets yesterday and he was like "ok we are giving him banamine, oh and you can give him some penicillian.........." and didn't give explenations why he chose those drugs. So I had to ask and he was willing to tell me but I HAD to ask. They do it day in and day out that sometimes they dont think that you have no idea WHY they are proscribing something or stating something.
  4. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    They think he has a hole in his heart because of the way it beats and they said heavy breathing, but it's 90-100 degrees here so everyone is breathing heavy in the heat.
    No temp and he seems normal. I seem to have to tell them what meds I researched on the Internet then they "agee" to use them. It's very frustrating and now I can hardly give him a shot because he knows I'm going to do it and wiggles. :(

5. RockIland

RockIland New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Nuflor is long acting one time shot, I believe it's coverage is for 14 days. I'd choose it over Naxcel.
  6. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Is Nuflor like a preventive? One breeder told me she gave the does shots after they gave birth. I can't stand to hear them scream and make the Vet give them the shot. :oops:
  7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Nuflor is hard on their immune system. I would not suggest giving it to a young kid. I like Naxcel the best, it is great.

I hope your baby begins to recover soon. You really should give them Naxcel for atleast 5 days, preferably 7.