The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I managed to breed a doe to kid in July in Phoenix but I did. Two born, boy and girl. The doeling has some bent knees and does not stand well or for very long. Planning on doing a soft suppport with vet tape on them. I keep them in the house in a crate during the day and take them out to nurse off Mom for 30-40 minutes twice during the day and then leave them with Mom all night. Does anyone know how old will they need to be to tolerate the heat without having to come inside?

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Not sure how I managed to breed a doe to kid in July in Phoenix but I did. Two born, boy and girl. The doeling has some bent knees and does not stand well or for very long. Planning on doing a soft suppport with vet tape on them. I keep them in the house in a crate during the day and take them out to nurse off Mom for 30-40 minutes twice during the day and then leave them with Mom all night. Does anyone know how old will they need to be to tolerate the heat without having to come inside?
I would take them out every few hours to nurse durin the day. But.. Is there no shade where mom is? What is the temp difference night and day? Why can they not stay with mom as long as there is shade and cool water i would think they would be ok with her. Your other goats are out in it so why bring just these kids in? Just curoius cause i have no idea the answer to what you are askin.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
I would take them out every few hours to nurse durin the day. But.. Is there no shade where mom is? What is the temp difference night and day? Why can they not stay with mom as long as there is shade and cool water i would think they would be ok with her. Your other goats are out in it so why bring just these kids in? Just curoius cause i have no idea the answer to what you are askin.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, there is shade and plenty of water but when it's 110 in the shade the babies just don't make it. Last year I lost 2 kids in June to the heat. The juveniles and adults do fine. There must be a certain age where they can regulate their temperature.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,077 Posts
Since newborns can't regulate their temperature..... how well can they manage the +/- 30° differences between the house temperature and the outdoor temperatures being taken back and forth every few hours?

Would housing the doe and kids together in a cooler place be an option?

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Yes, there is shade and plenty of water but when it's 110 in the shade the babies just don't make it. Last year I lost 2 kids in June to the heat. The juveniles and adults do fine. There must be a certain age where they can regulate their temperature.
Gotcha. I did not realize it was THAT hot there. From what i can find in a quick search at two weeks old they do better regulating their temp. But not sure if that is only in winter or if in your hot as well. I also was wonderin like samdra if you have a place where mom and kids could be a bit cooler. Maybe a shed or garage or what about fans?

·
Administrator
85,573 Posts
I agree, a shady area and keeping an eye on them is fine. Some babies don't have sense enough to get out of the sun and may lay in it and start to pant. So we need to make sure that doesn't happen and they don't over heat.

Also remember, normal temp for goats is 101.5 to 103.5, so, if the weather is about that it is the same as the goaties. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.