ND breeding

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Driver, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Daughters and I will be breeding our 2 ND does in January. Any tips/suggestions on diet, minerals or vitamins to prepare the does. They'll be 13 months old at time of breeding.

We feed daily nutrena show goat grain, local hay, alfalfa pellets as treats, free choice sweetlix minerals and LOH herbs for parasite prevention.

Thanks for the help, alot of pressure on Dad here to make this successful:)

GoofyGoat likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That’s so exciting for you and your daughters!
    Unless they are not at a good weight, I don’t feed grain to dry does. With my ND, I started giving small amounts of grain during her last month of pregnancy.
    Also, some does don’t cycle into January.
    Good luck!!!!

Iluvlilly!, GoofyGoat and Driver like this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I personally don't breed my ND's until they're at least 18 months, I've found that earlier can be harder on them physically and if they're not emotionally ready for mothering and you can wind up with bottle babies because they'll reject one. Only you can judge your does readiness but it's something to think about.

Make sure they have free access to a very good quality loose minerals, alfalfa and grass hay, and keep up the monthly selenium and vitamin e gel. I also give an cod liver oil caspsule occasionally and feed a small handful of red raspberry leaves daily the last month of pregnancy. Check ketones the last 3 weeks prior to Kidding too. Too much grain will make for bigger babies so cutting back is something to think about.
    It's a very exciting time waiting for kids... I wish you the best of luck.

MadHouse and Driver like this.
  4. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What does selenium and vitamin e gel help with? Put it my cart ready to order

MadHouse likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  6. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    Snap I'm in the PNW were deficient in these and my little ladies are pen fed mostly. Ordered thanks!!

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It's also good to give newborn kids a pea sized drop on the end of your finger as soon as they're born along with squirting a vitamin e capsule in there too.

8. Driver

Driver Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Western Washington
    What about vitamin b complex? Necessary or just for ill goaties?

MadHouse and Kass like this.
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Vitamin B complex is great to have on hand for emergencies and even when you are suspicious of a problem. I would highly recommend getting some on hand if you don't have it already. You don't need to give it if they are completely healthy, but it's something I know I wouldn't want to be without. Definitely get injectable over paste form if you don't have it. It doesn't work anywhere near as well orally.

10. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Probios and vitamin B complex are my go to’s if a goat even seems a little off. They are usually the first thing I grab along with my thermometer.
    Additionally,
    I always give 0.5cc orally to newborns to help wake up their brains along with the selenium/vit e Gel and extra e capsule. I also dip their cords and feet in iodine at birth.

It’s indispensable if you have goats. The only time I give it orally though is to newborn kids other than that I always give it sub q.
    Hope this helps.

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about newborns, thanks for clarifying that. :oops:

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.