ND Does Losing hair on bridge of noses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dmartell24, Nov 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dmartell24

dmartell24 Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    So 2 of my three female ND goats are losing hair on the bridge of their noses. They have been using the same hay rack for 2 years so I don't think it is rubbing on the rack. They also have just had a dose of copper bolus (every 6 months). I use UltraBoss in the hot months to deter bugs and mites so I don't know what is happening??
    Any help would be great!

Dustin

MadHouse likes this.
  2. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

My does get this every year. It's probably a zinc deficiency. Human zinc pills or TrueCare 4 top dress would be two ways to treat it. I use human pills, but TrueCare 4 is a highly recommended product and might work a little better. I just don't use it because it was more expensive than humans pills.

You can use any human zinc pills. The ones I have are 50 mg pills I believe. I gave my does one pill for three weeks and then reassessed. Others have had success with giving them daily for a period I can't recall if the deficiency severe enough. It is possible to overdose on zinc so that is something to keep in mind. Good Luck!

3. dmartell24

dmartell24 Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    Thank you!! I am starting to believe it may be a zinc issue as well. They have copper bolus and loose minerals (they don't eat them much- Mana Pro). I will look into this more!

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    When did they last receive a copper bolus? Photos of tails and bodies and faces?

It's either copper or zinc, sometimes both.

toth boer goats and dmartell24 like this.
  5. MellonFriend

Mana pro minerals are not the best. Are you able to get Sweetlix Meat Maker goat minerals? They would be a lot better. Purina Wind and Rain Cattle minerals, or Cargill Onyx would be other options.

dmartell24 and MadHouse like this.
  6. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    i am feeding in a hay feeder that rub the hair on there nose off.

MadHouse and dmartell24 like this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Welcome yo TGS dmartell.

MadHouse and dmartell24 like this.
  8. dmartell24

dmartell24 Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    I ordered some zinc and have just given them the copper bolus about 2 weeks again. I will try to get pictures! thank you!

MadHouse likes this.
  9. dmartell24

dmartell24 Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    thank you!
    Ok, so I think this is IT! I saw perfect little holes in the hay inside the feeders. We pack it in tight because it helps with waste but last night I noticed that two of the girls REAAAAAALLY live to shove there noses super deep into the feeders. The type is a Premier One Metal rack/wall feeder with pretty small holes. And what do you know??!?! Their noses hit the bars EXACTLY where the hair is missing. LOL
    Is there anything you do for this?! :)

MadHouse likes this.
  10. dmartell24

dmartell24 Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Hartsville SC
    I ordered the Wind and Rain but was concerned about the additional copper since I bolus every six months also. Is this ok??

MadHouse likes this.
  11. MellonFriend

Not a problem. ;) You may find that you need to bolus less with a better loose mineral.

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All very good advice.

MadHouse likes this.
  13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep, sounds right. Are you feeding them more hay now than you were a month ago? If they are eating more hay from that feeder than before or usual then that could be why they are rubbing more. We have a V shaped feeder that was in our does old shelter and winter time they'd always rub the hair off since they were browsing much less and eating more hay. I'm not seeing it yet since we are using different hay feeders until their new barn is done. They are wasting hay like crazy right now - ugh.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.