The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have three 4 month old Nigerian Dwarfs. When we first got them they spent most of their time grazing. I started cutting branches with green leaves for them twice a day. Now they rarely eat their pasture. Parts of it is getting over grown. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Goats are not grazers. When we move the fence and open a section ours will go to town eating the things they like and then give up and let the weeds they hate take over the pasture.

Do you have the ability to pasture out a new section for them to eat the things they like?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yes cut out hay as long as they have pasture to eat. And dont give them tree cuttings if you want them to eat the pasture.

Goats arent normally grazers but browsers so of course they are going to hold out for the tree cuttings

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
One thing i have noticed in my whole month or so with goats is that they are greedy. I can drop a couple tree clippings for mine, and go get another one and they will completely ignore the first clippings and devour the new ones. But let another goat go start eating some clppings and all of a sudden they just became the best clippings that everyone must have. Seems with goats the grass is always greener on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
I think you actually answered your own post. You said as soon as you started giving them cut branches, they quit eating pasture. Don't give them the cut branches anymore.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
PznIvy - Mine are the same way. They have a paddock that is open to them all the time except at night. We open a new pasture and move it every so often. They HATE all the stuff in their paddock but LOVE all the things in the pasture....it's all the same stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't given then any cuttings today and they have complained to everyone every chance they get. So funny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts