ND fencing question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thanatos, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    For ND bucks with horns what is the LARGEST space in a fence that yall would recomend like is a 6"x6" square to big? And is a 47-50" tall fence tall enough? I ask because I have a 60" fence now, but will not be able to keep it after the move, but I found an amazing deal on a few rolls of "field fence" in 300' rolls for about 150 a roll. If its tall enough or if I can set it higher and cover the bottom with chicken wire to keep em from crawlin out I will.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    6X6 he will probably get his horns stuck if he likes to put his head through the fence. I would try to get something more like 4X4 for him.

Height -- I havent had bucks but I would go 5 feet.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    If he can get his head through, he will get stuck. Bucks are notorious for rubbing their heads on everything.

I use 5 foot fencing.

4. GoatGirl

GoatGirl New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Portland, TN
    Our buck that we have right now is putting some nice legs on me. I bet I've walked up and down the hills 20 times in the past 3 or for 4 days freeing him. Very tiring. I've been working on letting them onto a fresh pasture though, so maybe it will be problem solved. . . I hope :pray:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have horned bucks....6x6 is asking for problems, I've had to cut my pygmy buck out with bolt cutters to free him, and this was with cattle panels, I now have the galvanized goat panels with 4x4 squares. Pricey but was very worth it.
    4X4 would be best and my fence is 4 foot high...never did have jumpers.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My bucks pen is part no-climb horse fence (smaller openings lower/up to 4"x4" at the top). And part livestock panels, 4"x4". It's 48" tall. No jumping, I think once they are older that's not a problem. But, I've never had a baby jump out of it either. My bucks do not have horns. But, my Cashmere babies do put their heads through the field fence...I had to line the upper portion of the "nursery" with chicken wire so they don't get stuck.

Are you good with fencing? Those rolls are incredibly heavy! Good luck!

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok so the boys fence will be part "horse fence", a 48" tall 100' long roll with smaller than 4x4 holes and part 5' chainlink their total enclosure will be right around 50'x50' the girls will be 75'x75' and made out of the 300' roll of "field fence" 48" tall thats the fence that starts small openings at the bottom and at about waist high goes to 6x6, but they are all disbudded. I dont have jumpers, but I don't know bout the boys as Bob still has em. I intend to put the fence about 4" off the ground to get a bit more hight but not allow the goats the ability to crawl under. If yall think they can crawl under let me know and I will come up with a diff way of addin height to the fence. I can only find 4' fencing here.

And as far as handelin the fence any of yall in Pa are welcome to come over and help build the barns and put up the fencin in July when I get there. :greengrin:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would see if you can get at least a five foot fencing, maybe 5 1/2 - 6ft. Most bucks will easily clear four feet, especially for does in season (maybe even the does would clear it!) We've only ever had one that cleared our 5+ ft. fence, but just in case you get one of those jumpers, you don't want to go around fixing the fence to keep them in.

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I plan for the boys' area to bae about an acre away from and facing the other way from the girls. but as all have said with goats they will prove us wrong.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: I hav never had a buck jump over a fence.....keep the fenceline clear of objects to climb on and jumpers won't be a problem....I have had all 3 of my bucks go THROUGH 4 strands of hotwire to get to my does though.

As far as raising the fence above the ground, yes, if they can get their noses under it they will try like crazy to get their whole body thru it...and if you plan on kids next year, that space is plenty big enough for a kid to get thru as well as any predators to get under. 4 foot fence should be plenty high enough......keep them happy in the pens and they won't want to get out :greengrin:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Actually, the boy we had that jumped fences didn't have ANY type of object near the fence. In fact, it was on a hill going down. . . he just scrunched down and jumped. Really ridiculous young buck. ;) I am dead serious, there was nothing near the fenceline whatsoever. He was persistent. . . and annoying. It wasn't like he was unhappy in his pen and pasture either, just always wanted whatever was on the other side. :roll:

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    When I got my first goat Oreo we thought she would be ok alone for a few weeks till we got Luna. I was wrong she cleared the 5' chain and ran around the yard with the dogs. she would get a start hit the fence at a run go around the corner and over the top. As soon as we got Cookie she stopped tryin to get out. So my hope is that the boys will be content to stay put. If not i guess I will be goat chasin and fence fixin.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He he...thats funny Olivia! I have Teddy, who thot it was fun to try and jump to the girls....not for breeding mind you but because I was weaning him from his mom....little booger had help from the other 2 boys and moved the plastic play cube they had in the middle of their pen closer to the fence line...he launched over from there and drained her! Now he was 3 months old and luckily he only had milk on his mind. Now he is 50# and can't get his chubby butt off the ground! Some goats jump some don't :shrug: