The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a ND wether that is a little “off” He is still drinking and eating fine. His poo looks good. However, tonight I worked all my goats and his eyelid didn’t have a lot of color when I checked. He just seems blah and not as “zoomie” as normal. I gave him the recommended amount of Safeguard Oral Goat Dewormer. It says to give it again in 4 weeks. Should I do it sooner? Is there anything else I can/should give him? Just trying to do what’s best for him.
*side note. He also got hoof and heal after some trimming, CD&T, And fly sprayed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A fecal to include coccidia should be done first. Wait 2 weeks and have a fecal done. Then let us know what the results are before worming again. Get his temp.
His temp was good. The vet will be closed until Tuesday. Should I try to find a different one? I live in the middle of nowhere so it's an hour any direction to get one. I really don't want to wait.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any time my goats start acting funny I give thiamine and then I would get fecal done, you can do yourself if you get a microscope (I got mine off amazon for like $80). What kind of minerals and supplements do you provide?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any time my goats start acting funny I give thiamine and then I would get fecal done, you can do yourself if you get a microscope (I got mine off amazon for like $80). What kind of minerals and supplements do you provide?
I have a really good microscope I can use. I'll barrow it from my classroom. I use a goat mineral from TSC and I have free choice baking soda out. Do I need something different?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O
You need to know what you are looking at. While learning how to do fecals, you should still have a vet do one. Also, baking soda shouldn't be out free choice.
Ive got a vet tech coming to help me. When do I need to give baking soda? How much?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you only do TSC minerals, I would certainly add BoSe (depending on if your area is selenium deficient, you can see link below to find out your area) as well as Copper. I have started using Replamin as well which can be a good alternative to free choice minerals as you have more control over exactly what and how much vitamins they are getting, you may want to change your mineral routine and that may help :)

PS this map also has the other minerals in the soil as well so you can check your copper and etc while you're there if you zoom in

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
If you only do TSC minerals, I would certainly add BoSe (depending on if your area is selenium deficient, you can see link below to find out your area) as well as Copper. I have started using Replamin as well which can be a good alternative to free choice minerals as you have more control over exactly what and how much vitamins they are getting, you may want to change your mineral routine and that may help :)

PS this map also has the other minerals in the soil as well so you can check your copper and etc while you're there if you zoom in

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html
Personally, I don't believe Replamin is enough, but along with loose minerals it's good.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Best thing to do is watch your goats for deficiencies, if you do see signs and do have minerals out for them, they either do not like it, not licking enough or it isn’t kept filled in the licker.

Do not give bo- se or copper Bolus unless they show signs.

Wind and rain from tractor supply isn’t a bad loose mineral, but don’t get the kind that has fly killer in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts